Sunday, December 9, 2007

Ethan's Special Day....

Yesterday Ethan was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. At 8 years old Ethan is able to decipher right from wrong, and is now old enough to be responsible for his actions. Funny because he just told me yesterday he's known right from wrong for at least a year. He likes to let me know he's well above average for his age. It was a special day for him. Shawn's parents made the 1200 mile trek to be here for him. We're all glad they were able to come for a visit. Before the baptism we thought it would be a great idea to get a family picture since we were all dressed up at the same time and in the same place. It was a great idea----in theory. Because Shawn is usually the photographer it makes it pretty tricky for him to be in the shot. He likes to organize us all, then hand the camera off. Once we are ready to go someone else takes the picture. Landon wanted his pacifier, pencil, sippy cup, and coat to join us in the photo. Jackson was cold and refused to pull his arms out of his sleeves. Lovely. That's my family.

After Ethan and Shawn got changed into their white attire we took another photo to document the occasion. I've seen a lot of baptism pictures that resemble this one. Only this time it was all about Ethan.Shawn performed the baptism, and then he and Ethan went into the dressing room to change back into their dry clothes. Ethan was cold from being wet and made the comment to Shawn, "I'm sooo cold on the outside, but I feel really warm on the inside." Priceless. This morning Ethan came out of his room all ready for church. This is pretty typical of him. The atypical thing about this particular morning was his attire. He refuses to wear a tie due to the choking factor. Shirt tucking in is also forbidden due to lack of comfort. This morning both things occurred. He mentioned something about how now that he's 8 he's got to start looking the part. Shawn grabbed a camera to record such a handsome little man. That's what I realize he's becoming. A little man.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a memorable day. Congratulations Ethan. He is advanced for his age.

Anonymous said...

the picture of him sitting down holding his scriptures looks like a missionary picture. are you sure he wasn't really called to serve?

Laurissa said...

Congratulations on Ethan's baptism. He is a handsome young man. I'm holding out for that magic age of 8 for ties and tucked in shirts! I enjoyed the rest of your posts too.

Pattie said...

your family pictures are great you have a beautiful family..

Melissa said...

Ethan IS becoming a little man! He looked so handsome yesterday.

Abby said...

Awesome - Congrats to Ethan! I loved his comment about cold on the outside, warm on the inside! What a cute young man!

Eric said...

Katelyn stated my thoughts - Ethan sitting with the scriptures looks like a little missionary.

Landon looks as if you had just pinched him! In your youth, it was your dad rather than your mother who pinched the little ones as an excuse to take the kid out in the hall during church. Why did you feel the need to pinch Landon for the picture?

Anonymous said...

Kennedy's so tall!!

valerie said...

Congratulations Ethan!! He looks so grown up with his shirt, tie and new scriptures.

Lyndsey said...

how cute is he???

Rischel said...

What sweet thing he said.. you should frame that sweet little quote, so you never forget your son said it!!It makes you melt as a mother huh.....

DeGooyer Family said...

What a special day! He is a very handsome little man. (I didn't know it at the time, but we were at the Church for a Primary activity while all of this was going on - hope the kids weren't too noisy.)

Jodie B. said...

What a special day for all of you. Ethan sure is a wise little man.

nicole said...

what a great kid! What a great family. He looks a lot like a little man in that last shot.Congratulations!

Jill said...

Holy hormones I am tearing up! What a absolute doll, congrats Ethan!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Ethan!! He really is so handsome. What a happy, special day.

Raquel said...

Jayne, what a neat day. It is the first of many first for your family. I have got to mention your picture, the first one with out Shawn. How priceless is that. You trying to calm the baby down, Ethan being good, Kennedy checking out the little brother that wont pull his arms out of his shirt. What a hoot!!! Good times.

Judaloo said...

Priceless. Absolutely wonderful. I love the warm inside comment. that is truly something to remember forever!

Tisha said...

Congrattuations Ethan! What an exciting milestone!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Ethan is such a doll. It is so sad to see them grow up! Times goes way too quickly.

Levon said...

He is so adorably handsome! What an awesome event. I love the photos!

Rebecca Pierce said...

That is awesome. I remember when he was born, I can't believe that much time has passed!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.