Thursday, December 6, 2007

Ethan...

Yesterday Ethan turned 8. Yep, 8. Where did the time go? I still remember bringing him home from the hospital all wrapped up in clothes that were way too big and feeling totally and utterly overwhelmed at the thought that he was my child. I am amazed at the young man he's turning out to be despite my parenting skills. To celebrate we had a little family get-together. By family I mean Shawn, me, and all his siblings. He opened his presents the second Shawn walked in the door. I was able to hold him off at least that long. (Ignore the fact that he really needs his haircut. Or at least combed.)He received a few things for his Nintendo ds, a CTR ring (a fancy, non-cheap one courtesy of Grandma Deb), a new set of scriptures with his name engraved on them, a scripture case to contain them (also Grandma Deb), Pokemon cards, and an entire bag of starlite mints (courtesy of his kind sister). While I was preparing dinner he spent his time doing this:
Because of birthday tradition in our family Ethan chose what his birthday meal would consist of. He wanted barbecue chicken wings. That's it. I added cheesy garlic potatoes and broccoli to complete the meal because I'm a mom and I'm allowed to do such things. After dinner it was time for cake and ice cream. He is a very specific child when it comes to requests. "Funfetti cake with funfetti frosting. Not homemade frosting, the kind that comes in a can and says funfetti. With those cake candies that spell something like happy birthday. And mint chocolate chip ice cream". Very specific. I honored all his requests. (His shirt is removed due to the messiness of the chicken wings----his idea, not mine. He's a very clean child.)

Tonight was his very first night he was able to attend cub scouts. 8 is the age of entitlement. It was especially fun because Shawn was recently called to be cub master. Boys night out once a week and I don't have to try to figure out scouting on my own. Bonus.Ethan, you are one awesome kid who has a bright future ahead. I'm glad to be able to have a hand in your life. Happy Birthday my little man.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jayne, I'm so glad to see you blogging again!! It's been somewhat irregular lately, so it's good to have you back!

He picked out what I think is my favorite kind of birthday cake to the T! (except I'm a little old for the candies that spell out happy birthday). And I'm excited for him doing cub scouts now. I always loved scouts when I was his age. I remember wearing my scout shirt to school on the days we had meetings so I wouldn't have to change. Let me know if he does the same.

Eric said...

Ethan is the way he is partly because of genetics, I am quite sure, and a very large part BECAUSE of your parenting. Give yourself some credit! After all, I am willing to give myself some credit for how all of our kids have turned out, even if Deb gets more!

Audrey said...

My little girl is only four and I feel like the time has already gone by much too quickly. I completely understand the anxiety over the parenting skills. I am always lying in bed at night wondering how I've damaged my children that day.
You know, I'm going to keep bugging you until you realize I'm your favorite new friend and add me to your list of friends.
Don't worry, I won't tell anyone else that my blog is your favorite!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!! Wow, I can't believe you are in cub scouts. I like your story. I wish I could play with you right now. What kind of games did you get for your nintendo DS? I hope your happy! Well, see you later.

Lacey Guy said...

Sounds like a great birthday! That is the same cake my husband asks for on his birthday. That Pillsbury knows what their doing!

rebecca said...

Wow! I was thinking he was turning 7!!! Tell him Happy Late Brithday from our family :) All of your kids have just such great personalities- I love hearing about each one. You are so good at documenting all of their great little "doings".

So, if Shawn is now cub master, does that mean he doesn't have his other calling now, or are they seeing if he can do both :)

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

Oh how sweet. Happy Birthday to him! Love the cake, details, everything! That is SOOO bonus about your hubby and scouts! Blessings blessings for all your other efforts. ;)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe they have gotten so big on us? Where did the time go and why aren't our husband finished yet? He is such a doll and one thing I will always remember about Ethan is how sweet he was to everyone. He is a keeper!

valerie said...

Wow 8 years old! Happy Bithday Ethan! He looks so excited to start Cub Scouts!!

Rebecca Pierce said...

I know I already said this...and I remember saying it a bunch when he was just a babe, but he is a clone of your dad and Matt!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.