Saturday, December 1, 2007

Crack it....burn it.....almost better

Landon cracks me up lately. Everything he says makes me want to squeeze his little body with love. One of my favorites lately is when I put him into his crib. I say "goodnight. I love you Landon" and he responds with "Crack it. Craaaaack iiiiiit!" Which means he wants me to crack the door, not shut it tight. Funny boy. The other night I was tucking Ethan and Jackson into bed and Landon climbed into Kennedy's baby crib which happened to be on the floor in the boys room. As I kissed Ethan I heard Landon yelling "crack it!". Apparently he thought he was going to sleep in the teensy bed. Who wouldn't want to squeeze this little body?
Landon got a sinus infection last week. I figured it began because of the fungus growing inside the pacifier I partially sliced in an effort to break the habit. I decided I better boil the things to avoid future growth and to kill whatever had invaded. Hysteria insued while I was "cooking" the beloved fussers. I placed Landon on the counter next to the stove so I could explain what I was doing. He was fine when he realized I was just trying to help him and he'd get them back once they were clean. After 10 disinfecting minutes I removed the pot and drained it into the sink. Landon started to cry and I figured it was because he was trying to get down and couldn't. Actually, Kennedy informed me that he touched the burner. His three fingers on his right hand were already blistering. We had him soak them in water and then just watched them continue to blister. He just kept saying "wash it off. Fingers. Wash it off. Fingers." He didn't like the bubbles forming where his fingerprint once was. I felt horrible.
A funny conversation that ensued after the burning fiasco?
Me: Should we take him to the emergency room to see a doctor?
Shawn: Let's just ice it.
Me: What if it's 3rd degree burns?
Shawn: It's too early to tell.
Me: But don't you think we should let a doctor make that call?
Shawn: (calmly) I am a doctor.
Me: I know, but a doctor in the emergency room.
Shawn: (loudly pointing to himself) I AM a doctor!!
Me: Yeah, I know, but.......
Shawn: Jayne. He is fine.

13 comments:

Rebecca S said...

Ohhhhhh....poor Landon, and poor Jayne, it probably hurt you just as much. On a brighter note, I do love his tiny bed. Bye the way - you've got the laundry job!

Anonymous said...

How sad. He is very cute and hilarious. I just love that stage of toddlerhood.
Also funny about the Dr. thing. I don't know what is is that makes us question the one we know and trust the complete stranger resident in the hospital.

Pattie said...

oh poor baby..that is so funny about Doc Shawn..

Jodie B. said...

Poor Landon! Hope he is feeling better soon! I LOVE the conversation about seeing a doctor! That made me laugh so hard. I can see myself having the same conversation with Tommy. It is hard to imagine that they are are really doctors!!

Tif Sweeney said...

Poor, poor Landon! That looks like it hurts! But, the conversation with your hubby totally cracked me up! I can totally see myself doing that as well some day!! :)

Judaloo said...

Those blisters are huge! The poor kid! Its so hard for them because they don't understand. However, the Doc conversation is one we have had many many times. Hahahahaha. I loved it.

Anonymous said...

That is so sad! I hope it gets better soon. I admit I still have that conversation with Justin all the time. I usually call him at work and them tell him to ask a "real" doctor, he gets so mad but to me he will always just be Justin.

Eric said...

You wanted to take Landon to a doctor in the ER.

And just what is it that Shawn does when he is not at home on weekends?

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

Ouch!!! I hope his fingers get better soon. I know what you mean about wanting to squeeze them with love. They are so cute and do the funniest things!

I have had the doctor conversation. I think they are more casual with their own kids - as if they are in denial anything could be wrong with them. I will accept that I am paranoid and don't handle emergencies well (no matter how much I'd like to). But still, I always have to say, "is that what you would tell a patient?!" ;)

Lyndsey said...

you shouldn't tell people it is a doll crib...we thought he had just become enormous!! YOu should post it as, "when your baby should no longer sleep in a port-a-crib." ANd he is darling!! Poor kid with those fingers!!! :(

Rischel said...

Bless his poor heart. I don't like it when people get burned, especially babies.... HOpe everything works out. I can relate to the whole doctor thing.....gotta love it..

Becca said...

If it makes you feel better yesterday I left my hot curling iron plugged in in the bathroom and of course Sarah pulled it down and has the burns to prove it!

Laurissa said...

Those fingers look so sore, I hope they're feeling better. Ditto on the "let's ask a real doctor" debate. Our poor husbands . . .

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.