Thursday, August 2, 2007

Life in a mini-van.......

Day 1: We left at 7:45 am and by 9:00 we had to stop for breakfast. The kids were actually pretty self-entertained and probably just excited to be headed on a trip with promises of Grandma at the end. We averaged about 90 minutes in the car between stops to get out and stretch our legs and use the potty. Our destination for that evening was a hotel in Kearney Nebraska. This hotel was recommended by a few friends as a "must stay". We were only able to clock around 450 miles due to the location, but it was well worth it. The waterslides alone took away the memories of the long drive.


Day 2: Again we were out the door by 8 am. I'm actually pretty punctual when I'm alone and in charge. (I can now blame lateness on my adorable husband.) I was determined to make our next destination by dinnertime, so stops were going to be infrequent this day. Our destination was 8 hours away with no stops, so probably 10 with stops. Our longest day. I sure was feeling this trip by around 1:30. So were the kids. The novelty of traveling had far from worn off, and I allowed Jack to ditch his carseat in hopes of some sleep. Yea, right. At 3:00 Kennedy was trying to handle the crew by reading them stories. Sweet girl. At 4:00 Jack started screaming at the top of his lungs. He had pulled his arm out of the neck of his shirt and was stuck. I was trying to explain how to get out of this tricky situation, when Kennedy tried to take over. She stuck her arm through her neck hole to physically show Jack how to solve his problem, only she found herself in the same predicament as Jack. She started howling as loud as her brother and I just started to laugh. Partly at the
innocent stupidity of my daughter, and partly because if I didn't laugh I would probably cry. Jack solved his problem, as did Kennedy, but Jack found it more comfortable to just stay shirtless.

At the 500 mile mark I started throwing skittles into the backseat for entertainment and distraction. We needed to go this many miles to reach Green River. It was a long 100 miles.

Arrival into Green River Wyoming brought Aunt Rhonda, Uncle Curtis, and cousins Logan and Atlin. It also brought a lot of energy release.
The only downside was the previously distributed skittle toss brought about a sugar high that didn't end until around 11 pm.
Day 3: The kids were having so much fun with cousins we stuck around until 10:30. I was hoping since the kids were tired they'd sleep. Have I not learned anything yet? We made it to lunch at noon. I forgot that along with the West comes sweet blessed fry sauce at the Arctic Circle. Aaaaaahhhhhh, totally worth the drive.After lunch we had 300 more miles to go and I wasn't going to stop. I was determined not to. I was actually succesful this time. We pulled into Idaho Falls at 4:30 pm. The best part of this entire road trip? Grandma and Grandpa at the end.


****I would like to thank all the products that made this trip possible:




Mam pacifiers and their sweet addictive abilities.





DVD players that come with 2 screens.






Skittles.







Kellogs cereal straws, to pacify hunger.





Elmers "Go Paints".









And of course, my ipod tuned to Blink 182's "I miss you".





19 comments:

Tisha said...

I am glad you finally arrived! You are awesome!

heidi k said...

I am glad you made it there safely and with your sanity in-tact!

The Marshall Family said...

I'm glad you are there safely!!!! We miss you over here! Your post made me giggle the whole time (especially the end!)!

Have a wonderful trip and we will see you when you get back!

Becca said...

I'm so proud of you! I can't believe that you made it with all--all right, most--of your sanity intact. Also, I am impressed that you didn't kill any of your children on the way! You are amazing! I can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Eric said...

We are soooooo glad you are here!

rebecca said...

You are a trooper. I know I may not have made that second long day unless, my sister, Rachelle, was driving with me telling me we couldn't stop. So glad you made it! I know you are going to have a wonderful time with you family :)

The Posse said...

Beautiful. You are an amazing woman and so independent! I feel that I, too, can blame my lateness on my husband. If not him, then definitely the kids! If not them, then definitely these blogs!!!

Unknown said...

I'm contemplating taking a trip out to Idaho myself this month. I'm not sure I am as brave as you!

Jodie B. said...

Sounds like it was fun and crazy at times!! Glad you made it ok! Have a great time and we will see you when you get back here to the fun and fabulous ville!!

Charmayne said...

Oh Jayne ~ Seriously your are so FUN!!! You have a way with words. I am glad to see and hear that you all made it safely. Have a great time with your family.

Jill said...

I am impressed great job on getting there alive, and with all your kids :)

Unknown said...

Yeah! I am so glad you made it safely. You are such a wonderful mother, and I bet your kids loved the trip!

Katherine said...

Yeah, way to go! You are my hero. 4 kids all by yourself? You are awesome. I'm so jealous about the fry sauce. I've tried to make it myself. It's just not the same.

rebecca said...

Katherine- I was at Arctic Circle today and saw you can now buy a jug of the fry sauce for $3.99!! Maybe someone could bring some from Utah for you:) I would but I know for sure I won't be back that way until graduation in 2 years :)

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

Sweet! You are such a fun mom!!! Glad you made it safe!

We are known for detours when we travel. I am not sure getting lost so many times with kids is a good idea. I will have to practice my driving before I get to take a trip!

YAY for you!!!! Have fun!

Pattie said...

wow i am inpressed Janye good thing for technology. enjoy your family.

Laurissa said...

Wow Jayne! We just returned from our 7th (round trip each time) cross country trip and I vowed it would be my last. I hope you enjoy your time in Idaho.

valerie said...

You are so brave Jayne. Glad you made it safely. Everyone looks like they are having a great time!!

Anonymous said...

Wow are you popular--18 comments on one post! I could only aspire to that! :-) I'm glad you found my little blog--tell Lyndsey hi and that my email address is:
jturner@filteredweb.net (she and Chrissy were thinking it was -.com)
Have fun on your vacation!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.