Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I talk too much.....

My brother Charlie is one of those iron-man, rock climbing, mountain biking, mountain running, repelling, anything outside and energy using type of adventure guy. Him and my other brother Ben, and my brother-in-law Brian planned a 3 day trip to Zion to canyoneer deep in the canyons. It involves repelling, hiking, and some swimming. I thought it sounded like fun, an adventure never before taken, and one that I'd like to attempt. I've been talking about it for weeks. My mom even offered to watch my 4 children while we all ventured down south for this excursion. The plan was for the boys to canyoneer saturday, take me repelling saturday night for practice, then take me into the canyons Sunday. All day saturday I spent looking for the perfect "wick-away" athletic suit that would dry after the short swims required. My sisters and sister-in-law, and I had a blast at the outlet strip, and then hanging around my sis-in-laws parents pool all afternoon. At around 8 the boys returned and we headed to a place in town to repel. I was so excited----until I got to the top of the place I was to repel. One look over the ledge and I said, "I won't be canyoneering tomorrow, and I probably won't be able to do this repel." The clencher was when I still hadn't really decided and I asked Charlie if the bolts were solid enough to hold me and keep me safe. When his response was a shoulder shrug with a tilted head look I knew the canyons and me were to bond in a different way than previously planned. My sister Katelyn and I drove the boys to the canyons Sunday and drove them to their starting destination. As we drove up into Zion and Charlie was pointing out where they would be returning, I wondered how in my little head did I actually think this feat was even possible. Or realistic. We dropped the boys off and Kate and I had an adventure of our own. We hiked up to Scouts point, a 4 mile hike that was mostly up hill, but very safe and secure. We had a great time. After our hike we went back to the campsite and sat in our camp chairs reading novels until the others arrived with dinner. That is the way I decided I enjoy the mountains. Hiking safely, then reading books in a cozy chair, all with a beautiful view of the canyons without all the danger.


I left St. George monday morning to pick Shawn up at the airport. We stayed with Shawn's sister Darla and her husband Brian that night. We all 4 went out to dinner and to see the "Bourne Ultimatum". Very fun evening with great company. Oddly enough I didn't take a picture of the small group of us, but I captured one of Shawn and I in the theater the next morning when we saw "Live free or die hard". After the movie we shopped a little and then headed back to Idaho to relieve my parents of their child-rearing adventures. Upon our arrival our kids wanted nothing to do with me, but wouldn't let Shawn out of their sight.

7 comments:

DeGooyer Family said...

Looks SO fun! What fun memories you all will have.

Tisha said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. I'm so jealous!

rebecca said...

Sounds like so much fun!! Especially the alone time with your hubby and no kids :) Its funny how as we get older and have kids, we don't put our lives in danger as easily as when we were young without a care in the world :) I don't think I would have done the repel at this point in my life either!!!

Becca said...

I'll admit that I was looking forward to reading your stories about repelling--your view of life is always comical and entertaining! But I am glad that you didn't risk your life for the sake of fun!

Melody said...

Oh how I love Utah! That campsite looks familiar. I wonder if I have been there. I love your new outfit. You picked the perfect thing!
PS. I wouldn't have repelled either! (I don't think)

Erin said...

I'm glad you're having fun! We miss you at the wading pool. Whenever we get there, Emma says "I think Jackson's gonna be here today!"
I'm really afraid of heights, so I think you're totally brave for even considering this!

Wilsons said...

You look like a natural!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.