Sunday, July 29, 2007
Are We There Yet???
I'm imagining that I will hear those words uttered 15 bazillion times between tomorrow morning at 8 am and Wednesday when we arrive in Idaho at my parents house. Yep, me and the kids are leaving tomorrow morning bright and early. Not too early, so I'm not exhausted before we even get going, but early enough that we make our destination in Nebraska before dinner time. I'm going solo this time. Some of you are wondering why in the world I would attempt such a feat. Residency has made me more independent and much more self-sufficient. I actually do a lot of things on my own that I never would have previously imagined, so I'm chalking this 21 hour drive across country with 4 small children as one of those independent ventures. I can totally do this. People keep giving me the "eyebrow raise" look when they hear what I'm about to attempt. I'm guessing it might appear that I have the word "stupid" printed across my forehead, but when I look in the mirror I see the word "capable". One of Shawn's co-workers said, "You are just letting her go?" Shawn's response, "Why not?". He's confident in my abilities. He needs to be. He has to trust my abilities at least 98% of the time because that is how often I am left to make decisions concerning the children, house, bills, and cars on my own. His confidence in me only boosts my confidence in myself. Do I think this trek is going to be easy? I'm capable and I'm also not in denial. I'm preparing myself for all out war against a 20 month old that doesn't like to be strapped down, a 3 year old that has more energy in 10 minutes than I can rack up in an entire day, a 6 year old that has a new DS game that requires you to yell into the microphone to get the horse to run faster, and a 7 year old that doesn't like to be looked at or touched by the 3 year old sharing his space. I'm armed with a DVD player that is a new novelty, a large bag of skittles, paint that only paints on specific paper, new notepads and coloring devices, magnetic dress-up dolls, various 100 calorie packs of cookies, fruit snacks, and of course my very own ipod which I can hook up to my own little ears when all else fails and I need to drown out the sounds coming from behind me. I'm excited to be embarking on this adventure. But then again, we haven't really started yet have we.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
13 comments:
I can't believe you guys are leaving tomorrow!!!! Have a great trip and the neighborhood won't be the same without you!
Good luck with the kiddos...I know you can do it!
Drive careful! You will do fine, I am sure. Just don't take your attention away from the road to deal with the kids. Pull over and stop first!
We are SO looking forward to having you here!
Jayne - I hope you have a wonderful time!! Just remember - the drive will seem shorter once you're there. =)
Have a great trip!
You'll do great! It might not be fun at times but having that sense of adventure will help. When I travel long distances alone with the kids I have Sam run the dvd player and open snack wrappers. Also make sure to not take exciting things to drink. We stick with just water.
Have fun and be safe!
Yikes.. good luck, if anyone can pull it off it is you.
You are amazing--driving by myself to St. George with kids scared me--and I only went half way by myself. But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and now I am sure that I could do it all the way by myself--that is once Sarah has turned around in her car seat. I'm sure your drive will go fine--not smoothly--but fine and I can't wait to read about the details as I am sure they will make me laugh!
If anyone can do it, it's you! Good luck and we will see you in Idaho!
Hey Jayne ~ You will do awesome. I think road trips are great and in the end a lot of fun. When I think back to my childhood I have a ton of memories of me sitting inbetween my brothers and having a great time. My kids love to play a million different Car/Road games too to pass the time. Be safe and have fun. :)
YOU ARE AMAZING! I don't doubt you can do it for one second! I don't know if I could, or if I would try, and I am not so sure Jonathan thinks I can either. Maybe we should chat and you can teach me a few things! YOU ARE SUPER WOMAN! You sound prepared, so no fear! Have fun!
Jane- I wish you the best of luck! I am sure the kids will drive you nuts at least once but you are a great mom and I know you will be fine with them!
I am about to drive to MI with my two little ones, but two is not four, and MI is only 10 hours. I admire your courage and independence... the kids will be fine I am sure. The first hours are always the hardest, then they accept the fact that they will live in the car for a couple days, at least, lets hope so.
My response to your Comment on my blog :
Everyone tell's me that Marlee looks like me ~ (hmm...she's way cuter then me :) ) LOL! How is your trip going? Did you get together with Becca? Fun to reconnect with everyone. I was chatting with Rhonda last night showing her yours and Becca's Blogs. Do you remember Niki? She was my next door neighbor in our Condo's. We email every no and then too. Can't believe how cute your kiddo's are. Have I told you how fun I think it is to read your Blog. You should write a book - your so good and I feel like I am right there. Anyway ~ enjoy your vacation. :)
Post a Comment