Monday, October 20, 2008

Laughter...

A friend from High School just found me on Facebook. She posted on my wall and asked me if I still laughed as much as I used to. She said she could almost still hear me laughing. Wow. I had to think for a minute before I replied. I think I used to laugh a lot more than I do now. I guess my laughter is just different. In High School the only responsibility I had was to myself---make sure I got good grades, make sure I had my college applications in, make sure I was doing everything I needed to do to succeed in life. That was it. Just me. Life is different now. I have a lot of people counting on me for food, comfort, and everything else to help them succeed in life. Laughter just isn't an all day, every day event anymore. Every once in awhile when I go out with the girls that laughter just swells up inside me and I can't contain it. Like when I was in New York with my Mom and Katelyn. I was laughing so hard at one point I literally almost peed my pants. I still have my "2 o'clock in the morning" laugh that too many people have witnessed. It's uncontrollable. It happened to show itself one time around Kennedy and she was afraid I'd lost it. She almost seemed scared as she watched the tears stream down my face because of it. After I was able to catch my breath between laughing outbursts I assured her all would be fine. My laughter has definitely changed. I used to think shows where kids make ginormous messes were funny. Like the scene in Cheaper By The Dozen when the frog gets loose at the kitchen table. I don't laugh at those things anymore. I live those things. Trust me, they aren't funny in the moment. I do laugh at my kids though. Like when Landon always says "actually". What 2 year old says "actually" in the right context? My kids are always saying something worth a good chuckle. But the good, hard, belly laughs aren't as frequent as they were in high school. They still show up every now and again, but I don't think that people that know me now will remember me for my laughter. I'm okay with that. But, I do want to laugh more. So, thanks Cindy for the reminder of how much I used to laugh. Laughter is one thing everyone could use a little more of. Especially me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the first and only time i ever cried from laughing was when we were in new york. in macy's with mom. something she did or said was ridiculous and funny. your laugh is pretty contagious

Jodie B. said...

I love your laugh too. So contagious!
I also think it is a scream that Landon uses "actually" in the right context. Nora has been doing that for awhile and I love it. Where do they get this stuff from? I don't think I knew the right way to use that word until grades school!
I agree with you that I laugh most about my kid. They bring so much fun to our lives. What would we do without them to keep us smiling and laughing.

Raquel said...

Jayne I think you must have stopped laughing the day I moved away.
I can remember laughing on our
St. Louis trip with Molly, and her
bedroom lessons.
I remember laughing on our Columbia when Beckie came with us, and brought her eye pillow, her pillow and a blankie. Sorry Beck that was quite funny.
We have such great memories that still keep me laughing.

Raquel said...

Oh yeah here is one more tip.
I once read that 10 minutes of good laughter is equal to 1/2 hour of cardio work out. So laugh it up.

Hailee said...

Hey jayne it is Hailee hess i came across your blog from candis' so i hope you don't care but i thought i would say hi!! Your family is so cute and growing. Kenndiy wow beautiful and grown up. love your post to.

Natalie said...

I loved this post!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.