Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Thunderstorms...
It's raining outside. Raining is putting it mildly. It's pouring. The field across the street from my house is flooding. The thunder is booming. The last crack sounded like a gunshot being fired from my porch. Landon is in hysterics from fear. I'm not an anxious person. I'm not afraid of storms such as this one. I actually enjoy sitting in the comforts of my own home, wrapped in a warm blanket listening to the thunder clap and witness the lightning brighten the entire night sky. It's kind of exciting. There are tornado watches surrounding our area. I'm not a fan of tornadoes, due to the extensive damage they cause. We've been blessed with no need to take cover this evening. I feel safe. I have noticed that the only thing that makes me uneasy about these storms is being separated from my little family. I dropped Kennedy & Ethan off at art lessons just as the first tornado warnings were coming across the radio urging various counties to take precautionary measures. My heart stopped beating for a nano-second. Flashes ran through my mind of Shawn, Jack, Landon, and I arranging for safety in our home without the comfort of my two oldest kids. I didn't like it. They are home now and I'm at peace. Shawn is about to head out the door for scouts and I know I won't be able to sit still until I hear the squeal of the garage door opening and see his car parked next to the van. Storms don't bother me, but the thought of being separated from those closest to my heart when disaster is a possibility stresses me out. It makes me realize what is really important in my life. I don't think about my house blowing away, I think about my house blowing away and not having everyone accounted for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
4 comments:
I was talking to my sister-in-law, Kristine Welker, on the phone during this crazy storm! You're totally right - there's nothing more unsettling than having a family member out and about during something like that. I'm always freaked out when my husband drives home in the morning from a long night of call (you know, deliriously tired with slow reaction time!). I get that same feeling of relief to hear the garage door opening! All is right with the world when the car pulls in.
I also love a good thunderstorm but I must say the only time I have ever been "nervous" during one of them was in in Kirksville. They are crazy there! Glad you are all safe.
I can totally relate! I'm just glad we have a basement, just in case we ever do get a tornado. I would FREAK out!!
I always worry about my children at school when I know there is inclimate weather (aka severe storms). I feel that only I can protect them. I have that need that we HAVE to be together! I am one of those moms that if the weather was looking quite grim, I would go pick my kids up from school!!
Post a Comment