
I love to read. I have
always loved to read. I give all the credit for my book loving to my parents. They both have been avid readers as far back as I can remember. Library trips were weekly events. My dad used to read me nursery rhymes to get me to sleep. He has told me that sometimes he'd read for hours before I'd nod off. (I can still recite most every rhyme from memory). When I was old enough to read myself I would read by flashlight until I could no longer keep my eyes open. I hid my favorite books under the boards

of the bunk bed, and secretly stashed my flashlight alongside them so they could easily be found when the lights were out and the door shut. At our family reunion this summer every single one of my siblings and both parents were engrossed in a book. If someone was missing we knew they had found a corner to hole up in to finish the last chapter or two in uninterrupted silence. It wasn't until I was married that I discovered not every family reads as much as mine. Shawn reads textbooks, not novels. He has listened to a few novels on
cd while driving long distances, and has enjoyed them. He simply can't find the time amidst all

the anesthesia journals to pick up the latest John
Grisham. He does, however, know of the importance of reading to the kids. We both have read to the kids from birth on. Kennedy is now reading and she loves to read to anyone who will listen. It's so much fun as a mother to witness your two k

ids snuggled up on the couch engrossed in a book. Ethan started reading books at night last year. He was so into reading I bought him a headlamp so he could read in bed. He has already devoured many novel series. He's currently working on
Animorphs. Sometimes he'll wander out of his room around 9:30 or so to get a drink and when I inquire about the time he'll say he was so caught up in his book he needed to finish or he'd never be able to sleep. To me, reading is the best excuse for a late night.
14 comments:
Darling pictures! Isn't it great to see your children enjoy books.
The pictures are so great. It is wonderful to see kids reading. I love to sit and read on the couch with Nora sitting next to me reading her books. Those are some of my favorite times.
Amen, sistah!!!!!
Same goes for us. Great pictures by the way.I love the headlamp idea.
What can I say that hasn't been said already? Cute pictures, love reading, great example, amen! :)
I really admire that about anyone. I have never been a big reader, but have always admired people who are. I guess I just feel so lost with what to read. I love the kinds of books that I can't put down. I need to print off some of you guys' good book lists and get crackin'!
oh i just love to read. i guess it runs in the family!
You are such a good mom. Don't I say that EVERY time I read your blog?!
no wonder why your kids are so smart.. You are a fantastic mom
I also admire those that get engrossed in reading. I am not a reader...just isn't there for me. I can't concentrate well enough. I do enjoy reading to my kids though...short fun books. :)
Great pictures!
I love the headlamp, but I will say that as my kids grow up they like to read to themselves, which is a really bittersweet thing for me. Andrew is currently working on the second Harry Potter book and he refuses to let me read even a sentence to him. And because Andrew and Madeline read so well themselves, Ben thinks that he should read all by himself too! Like I said--bittersweet!
Oh yeah, they will all still sit and listen to me read a story so I'm still OK!
Very fun!
Hey Jane,
I'm with you on this one. John likes to read but doesn't have much time like you said. As for myself I'm a book addict. I always have like four books out from the library and I participate in three bookclubs(although I rarely get to go to all the meetings).I'm glad to see its having its effect. Michael's kindergarten teacher called me the other day and said that they are going to forgo giving him word rings because they have discovered he can read just about any word you put in front of him. She said she didn't want him to feel left out though so she is going to have him do beginning readers and "write" stuff about them to build comprehension. Unfortunately, he has weaknesses too-but reading he loves. Love the pics and the headlamp!
Post a Comment