Saturday, October 6, 2007

Rah-Rah-Rookies....

The Varsity cheerleaders at our local high school hold a cheer camp for kindergarten through 5th grade girls. They meet the saturday before the homecoming game and teach the girls some basic cheers, a short dance, and just have a good time. This was Kennedy's first year to participate and she loved it. When we first got in the gym she was her typical "observing" self. I was afraid she would just watch the entire time and get nothing out of this clinic. I stayed for a few minutes to watch. All the rookies were in a giant circle (about 100+ girls) with Varsity cheerleaders dispersed throughout. There were 4 varsity girls in the center of the circle. They began playing a game. They were singing some kind of chant and the girls in the center would start spinning with one arm pointing. When the chant ended, whomever the girls arms were pointing at would come into the center of the circle replacing the one who pointed. I knew Kennedy would never go into that circle, even if pointed to. Wrong. She was in that circle within 2 minutes of the game starting. After only 8 minutes of playing she made it into the circle 4 times. Remember, there were over 100 girls. The odds of her making it in the circle once were slim to none. But 4 times. That means she went into the circle when she wasn't actually even being pointed to. I learned that my "observer" child likes the spotlight in some situations. When that game ended they started another. This game wouldn't allow her to cheat her way into the spotlight, and as I watched I could see her body trying not to just jump in and risk social outcasting. I have to say I loved watching this side of her. It is a rare treat to see her come out of her shell in such a large group.

The cheers they learn at the clinic are used to perform between 1st and 2nd quarter at the homecoming football game.She had such a great time. I'm so glad she had this opportunity. It was good for her, and good for me to see that she does have a "showy" side. T-I-GERS we are the TIGERS!! (I'll be chanting this one for a number of weeks I'm sure).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

W-A-Y T-O G-O K-E-N-N-E-D-Y!!!

Jill said...

How cute! Good job Kennedy you are a girl of many talents!

rebecca said...

Yay for Kennedy! I'm so glad she is so excited about that!!

Anonymous said...

she looks like me.

Becca said...

She's too cute! I absolutely loved it!

Unknown said...

CUTE! Look at all that spirit. She is a doll!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.