Friday, October 26, 2007
Odd Girl Out....
I just finished a book for my book club titled "Odd Girl Out" by Rachel Simmons. This book wasn't a novel, more like a research book on the aggression of girls. She spent one year talking to girls ages 9-adult about relationships. She shares a lot of stories from these conversations she had throughout that year, as well as insights into how to deal with bullies. Until I read this book, I'd forgotten how hard it was to be a girl when your whole life revolves around who you associate with, and who is willing to associate with you. I'd forgotten about that time in 6th grade when I was trying to overcome the status of "new girl" in a school and how very hard it was. I'd forgotten about how hard I cried alone in my room when my only friend Kerri turned on me and called me an Indian Giver because I asked her to give me back something that was rightfully mine. I'd forgotten how she managed to get everyone to ignore me for 3 days and when she was helping the teacher rearrange the desks she put mine in the very back of the room so I'd have to watch all of them talk about me and laugh without me. Bad memories. Worse was the memory brought to my mind of when I was the one being the aggressor. The year before I suffered, I caused the suffering. I was absent for 2 days and when I returned a new girl was sitting next to Annie, my best friend. They were laughing about things I'd missed. I started to like Mandi P., she was nice. Our group let her into the circle for a few weeks. After a while Christa was sick of her, so we had to be too. We shunned her. After a week she quit coming to school. We never saw her again. At the end of the school year Annie and I discussed how bad we felt and went to where she lived to make it better. Nobody answered the door. At the end of the driveway we looked back and saw a woman in the window. She told us Mandi had moved because some girls treated her horribly. She thought we were there to be nice. If she only knew we were actually the reason she felt the need to leave. This book reminded me of how hard it was to be a girl when weird social hierarchies rule, and it also opened the terror in my heart as realization set in that I have my own daughter who will encounter such situations. I hope she is never faced with a horrible life-changing scenario caused by back-biting, rumors, and catty girls. I hope she can just find girls to be friends with that like her for who she is, and are nice. I hope she is one of the nice girls at her school and not one of the ones trying to cause conflict. I'm glad I read this book. Even though Pandora's box of worries has now been opened I have been reminded of what it was like. Hopefully I will now be more understanding when my daughter doesn't want to go to school because of a bad hair day, or because the zit on her nose shines like Rudolph. Maybe now I'll have a little more empathy instead of just saying "get over it". I'm just glad I'm not in Jr. High anymore. Adults can be "girls" too, but now I have the confidence to walk away and not get sucked in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
14 comments:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the book. Ever since I saw it on Tif's blog I have wanted to read it. I have put it off, because well, Samantha is only 2 and I don't want to open that pandora's box of worries yet. Even though the author focuses on ages 9 & up, I think snippets of aggression start popping up in pre-school.
Totally agree.....
I am so glad that I was not the only one with many of these feelings! Thanks for making me feel normal! :)
Sheesh, brutal. I remember watching Mean Girls with my little sis and laughing how far fetched it was. She said "oh no. My friends did far worse to each other". Thank heavens for the good friends. I'll have to read this to get some insight for my darling baby girls some day. Yikes! Can anyone say 'homeschool'?
Jayne,
Wow I am going to look this book up. Your post made me want to cry. I hate that part of the girl culture and you are right it would be pretty hard to avoid all of it but I sure hope my girls can avoid most of it. why do we do these things to each other and ourselves? I am glad most of us snap out of it (most of it) at some point.
Wahoo for you, Jayne! This book sounds fascinating! I've been on both sides of the fence myself and it hurts to think about it. How mean we can be,and how mean we can be treated, but thankfully we can grow up and try to make it better. I worry a LOT about my daughter having to deal with these tough issues. Wouldn't it be grand if it didn't have to be that way?
Judy Leonard
www.leonardfamily-jacie.blogspot.com
Hi Jane,
your daughter looks just like you its crazy. Thanks for your post that was sweet. Married life is so wonderful. I love having someone to come home to now its great!! Erin
i have been thinking about your post here is my end of it. I was always the odd girl out my school years were very hard in fact that is one part of my life i would never do over. I have shared with my daughter how hard it was to be in that situation and pressed upon her how important it is just to be decent to everyone no matter the social statics because you never know what is really going on with them and maybe they just need a friend..hopefully she has used what i shared with her but the social pressure is stronger these days and much harder...maybe that is why i feel so needy for friendship
Sounds like a good book. Girls can be catty and there is alot to be said for wanting to protect our little ones. Hopefully we can!
Even though I'd like to, I don't think we'll be able to protect our girls from other children being mean to them. I think it comes down to teaching them that difficult things will happen, people will be mean to them, but that they can overcome this. Developing the ability to overcome mean behavior by others and not let it define who you are is what will give them confidence.
And I had no idea!
I'm going to have to peek into this book, too. My daughter is in Kindergarten and already seeing how things work amongst the girls. I think that now, more than ever, girls need to be empowered with a sense of who they are, self confidence, and the ability to include everybody - not just the pretty ones. I also think that as parents, we need to try hard to help our girls develop talents. They NEED to be good at something and it's our job to help them find those things they like!
Glad to hear your thoughts on this. Derek and I talked about this and we both agree it would be so hard to hear that your daughter was being mistreated or bullied in anyway, but perhaps worse to hear that your child was the aggressor in the situation. Either way, I am already so scared to encounter this. Now you know why they invented Karate!
amen amen. Wow. Sad and scary. I have 2 girls. Help!
Post a Comment