Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Shawn's Sweet Tooth...
I found out shortly after Shawn & I got married that he had a sweet tooth. Our cupboards were full of sugared cereals. We even had a "candy" cupboard where we stored all our sweet treats. Shawn has also always chewed gum. We had only been married a few weeks when I started finding pieces of chewed gum in random places like the end tables in the living room, the counter next to the sink, the dresser, and the arm of the StairMaster. I complained, like any new (or old) wife should after sticking my hand in a piece for the umpteenth time. Shawn's excuse? He got tired of chewing and was too lazy to get up to find the garbage can so just stuck it wherever he happened to be. At least he was honest. Smart man that he is quit that habit. He still chews gum, only now the chewed wads somehow actually make it to their proper place. Our cupboards are no longer full of cocoa crispys and honey comb, but we still have our "candy" cupboard. Shawn's most recent find to add to our hiding place is sweet taffy from Salt Lake City. We found it in a grocery store in Driggs Idaho, and it tastes EXACTLY like the flavor it is named. Red licorice? Just like a red vine. Root beer? I might as well have a straw to go with it. Cotton candy? If it weren't for the texture I'd think I was at the circus. I am probably crazy for admitting this, but we purchased 5 pounds of the stuff to bring back to our cupboard. Shawn claims it's to share with others the joy he has experienced by being introduced to this marvelous wonder. Right. It's actually too large to fit in our regular place, so it's currently hiding in Shawn's closet. If it were in my closet I'd eat it. Out-of-sight-out-of-mind for me. I know Shawn eats it, it is where he's started to eat it that makes me laugh out loud. The good hard belly laugh kind.
Yes, this is the shower. I was about to rinse the shampoo out of my hair when I noticed wrappers on the shower door ledge. It was when I realized that my dear husband was eating taffy in the shower that I burst into uncontrollable laughter. The shower? Really? Is it because he doesn't have time in his day to simply sit down and enjoy a piece without kids attacking him? Is it because he rises before the sun and has to rush out the door that indulging in taffy needs to become part of his cleansing ritual? Is it simply because the man likes taffy? I'll probably never know the real reason my husband eats taffy in the shower, but I now know he's serious about his sweet tooth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
14 comments:
Wow! I must show Justin to prove someone out there has more of a sweet tooth than me! I don't know whether to feel bad because Shawn doesn't have time to sit down and enjoy a taffy or feel bad because his addiction is that strong. :)
Feel bad for both---I do.
Jayne, that is hilarious!!
Good for him. It actually sounds like a good idea. i am pretty good with hiding my chocolate. I will have to try that.
This is so funny - I have to show Brett. =)
That Shawn couldn't be any crazier or could he!?! I can't believe he would keep his evidence where you could find it! It sounds like you had a great vacation! We just got back too. I will have to post pictures too. I saw Jen, Kamiko, and Kristin in Moses.
I am laughing so hard, that I am crying. That sounds like Shawn 100% But he's got a good idea there, I think I will start eating my treats in the shower... then I don't have to share with the kiddos.
ROFL that's amazing... and it sounds strangely familiar...
That is too funny!
I think the "crook" family has many sweet teeth!! I can never get enough candy, and I too have a candy cupboard.
I should also say that out of sight is not out of mind for a Crook. If we know it's there we will think about it until its gone.
We are genetically retarded that way.
It took me a while to figure out what the picture was when I first saw it, but after reading it I burst into laughter. My husband has the same problem of uncontrollably leaving things in random places around the house, but his is with his socks. Of course he blames it on the kids, but when they end up in the kitchen sink....hmmmm....makes me wonder.
HA! This made me laugh out loud. This is too great. Thanks for sharing!
well Jayne I try to read your blog but honestly I forget how to get here sometimes. I guess I am just barely learning what a "blog" is ask me anything about the Nintendo Wii and I can tell you,... but a blog? I am almost clueless.
Anyways, I will confess my sins of having a sweet tooth as well. I can't help it. I can tell you that I do have a candy drawer and if it is out of sight it is out of mind.....until I get the munchies! Most of the time I try to give our sweets to our friends who come over to play. I take joy in fattening other people up when I am trying to get in shape. Also I don't think I am that bad, because I still have tons of different flavored candy canes from Christmas and chocolate from Easter. Tyler says he has never met anyone who liked candy so much. :)
I love reading your blog. I feel like I am getting to know your cute kids the more I read. And even you and my brother. I wish we were all closer together.
That made me laugh too. Nothing like eating taffy with wet hands...
Awesome... And he SEEMS so normal. :)
I can't tell Paul about this. He doesn't need any more ideas. He just barely confessed to me that when we were first married he used to go out to eat and then hide it from me. Like I'm some food nazi or something. .... don't respond to that. :)
Post a Comment