Sunday, August 26, 2007

Grand Targhee

Targhee ski resort is a short drive from the lodge, so one morning my little family snuck up the mountain with Brian, Darla, and their girls Alyssa & Aubrey. We bought tickets to ride the ski lift up the mountain, then hiked around for a bit. What a beautiful day for a SMALL hike. I literally mean small. The kids were pretty whiney after Shawn made them pose on a bunch of different over-hangs trying for the perfect photo. I rode the chair lift up with Ethan and Kennedy, while Shawn rode ahead of us with the other boys. Ethan's conversation was hilarious. He was just kept talking about how high up we were and how bad it would hurt if we fell. He was just yapping away, and then paused for a long time, after which he stated, "Mom, did you actually see what this thing is connected to? That small cable that is supposed to hold us up? I know I'm not going to make it now." So matter of fact. I told him just not to look up, just look down and enjoy the scenery. Kennedy said she wasn't scared if she just looked straight to her left with her eyes closed. I got her to look at me long enough to snap a picture. She even smiled.


At the top Shawn took on the role of photographer looking for the perfect photo-op. I was frightened at the prospect of climbing onto this rock overlooking all of Targhee. We managed to get situated long enough for Darla to snap a few shots, and then were able to climb off safely. The things I'm willing to do for my husband.
Jackson was a willing participant and stood on a ledge with a beautiful backdrop. Darla made it into a shot with Alyssa without even crying once. (She also didn't know her picture was being taken.)

At the scenic overlook Shawn thought it would be fun to have all the kids gather around him for a picture. It worked, until Kennedy tried to jump on his back and they all came tumbling down.
Hilarious.

Then back down the mountain. For 5 bucks more we got what's called "lift & lunch" which is a fancy way of saying we could eat in their restaurant without having to pay restaurant prices. We found that the little extra money went a long way when it came to food. We left 10 lbs heavier and very satisfied. Beautiful scenery on the outside deck where we were served. Well worth the money spent.

Actual conversation with the kids playing horseshoes. I overheard secretly.
Jackson: Why do they call these horse shoes anyways?
Kennedy: Because real life Horses actually wear these things on their feet.
Jackson: They must be some REALLY big horses because their shoes are gigantic!
Kennedy: I know. They are.

I love to be the fly on the wall sometimes.

7 comments:

Charmayne said...

Love the Horseshoe conversation. Isn't it fun to be a mom! Gotta love those moments. I love your family shot on the rock. Love the view in the back.

When I was at Ricks I skied Targhee every Friday-Love College when they offer skiing as a PE option. :)

Do you still scrap? Like there's any time right!!! All of your awesome pics would look great in a summer vacation mini-album.

Jodie B. said...

I love the picture of you all on the rocks together! What a great family picture!! Looks like you had fun. Your kids crack me up- Ethan is a little thinker and they are all much braver than I would be.

Jill said...

How fun! I stayed at Grand Targhee before. Was your room dirty too? My mom also stayed there and she had a dirty room also. The views make up for everything it is beautiful up there. I am glad you had a good time.

rebecca said...

What a great trip with family!! I love that you always manage to get at least a couple pictures of all of your family together looking so good right at the camera!!! That one on the rock should be your next huge one blown up hanging over your nice new leather couches :)

DeGooyer Family said...

I really like the one of all 6 of you - what a great looking family!!

Katherine said...

What a beautiful family picture!! I'd be nervous, too, but at least it was worth it. Ethan cracks me up! Great picture of Kennedy. She is so pretty.

TerriLyn said...

Jayne, I love your blog. I also love the family photo in this post. It's awesome! Glad you had a fantastic time at Targhee.Wahoo.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.