
I have always loved the first day of school. Brand new backpacks, fresh white paper, sharpened pencils, crisp new clothes, and a stomach full of excited butterflies. I still get that feeling every first day of school, even though it isn't actually MY first day anymore. It's a different feeling as a mom. A feeling of excitement through the eyes of my own kids. More than that now though. I have slight feelings of fear. Will my kids have teachers that are kind to them? Will they be treated fairly by the adults supervising? Will the other kids be nice? Will they be able to make friends easily, and e

njoy the kids in their classroom? Will they be starving 2 hours before lunch because they were too excited to finish breakfast? Will they actually be placed on the correct bus and make it home safe? I could sit here and list all of my fears for hours. When it was MY first day of school I owned all my fears and was able to somewhat control the outcomes, and handle the irrational ones. I was in control. I am no longer in control of these fears and just have to let go. I need to let my kids experience life and then when they run through the front door at 3:20 I can once again reassure, love, and be ready to help deal with any misfortunes that might have occurred during their time away. That is if they aren't getting too old and wise to let me in on those incidents. I know there will be those times when I won't be able to pry my way into the working brains of my children, and they will prefer to suffer in silence, or call their friends and work it out over the phone. I can only hope that this year isn't THAT year yet, and all will be well. Good luck Ethan and Kennedy. I hope you enjoy 1st and 2nd grade. Your teachers are lucky to have you in their classrooms.
10 comments:
They look so cool and ready for school! =) I cried this morning when Benjamin got on the bus. Hope you have a great day with just two! =)
I didn't realize Kennedy was starting 1st grade. I assumed kindergarten for some reason. It is crazy how they grow up. Katie starts 1st grade on Sept. 4th. She is looking forward to it more than me.
Kennedy went to Faith Lutheran for Kindergarten last year because she missed the deadline. I was planning on her repeating, but her teacher thought 1st grade would be a better choice. We'll see.....
They are so cute together!! Enjoy your days with just 2- what will you do with yourself?!?!?!?
I love those first day of school pictures!!! So sweet!! All the kids started school here in Utah too, except for the kindergarteners. Kordin has had a hard time figuring that one out, cuz his cousins started today and he didn't. He's so excited to go! They have a mandated thing here where the kidergarteners start one week later, cuz they each get tested one by one from their teacher, during the other's first week of school. I think Kennedy is going to do great in 1st grade! I think you made a good decision :)
Aaaah butterflies. I was totally nervous this morning. I have so many mixed feelings about my baby growing up! I'm glad she loved her first day.
What a great picture Jayne!! I'm sure Kennedy and Ethan will have so much fun together at school this year. I am a little jealous though. My kids don't start school until Sept 4th.
I can't believe how grown up and cute they look. I hope that they had a great fist day of school. I think you hit the nail on the head for what all of us moms are thinking on the first day of school.
You'll have to let me know how the first grade thing works with Kennedy because we almost did it with Madeline but stuck with kindergarten instead. I'm still not sure if we made the right choice though. I hate making big decisions about stuff that effects them for a long time to come because I don't want to mess them up anymore than I already have!
WOW! I am behind on your blog. I can't wait to go read everything! You always say things just right and pull out the emotions I can't figure out...and I don't even have one in school yet. Am I allowed to worry already?! ;)
Post a Comment