This is the first year Jackson was able to compete in the pinewood derby for scouts. I took note when Ethan was a cub scout that the pinewood derby is the event of the year......for Shawn. This year Shawn went all out ordering all kinds of whoknowswhat on the Internet. Boxes of interesting objects showed up daily for a week. I didn't even ask questions. Because honestly? I didn't really want to know what he was up to.
Shawn and Jackson spent a lot of time working on this car. Last minute time---because that's how we roll. And it's what Shawn's busy schedule allows. I have to give Shawn credit with this one though. He let Jackson do most of the work. He was very patient and stood back through most of the process. Because Jack was doing so much of the work alone, Shawn made him practice each step before actually performing said step on the "real" car. I have to say, I was a bit nervous when it was the day before the derby and we had 3 finished practice cars, but no real car ready to compete. Boys. Shawn was able to leave work early the morning of the derby, so he pulled Jackson out of school for a finish the car extravaganza. They were sanding wheels until the very last minute. Due to the time crunch, Jack didn't paint his car. He went with the all natural theme. And. It worked. Jackson took first place over-all. He won all of his races. Shawn couldn't have been more proud. In fact, I'm pretty sure just the word pine wood derby lights up his countenance. Boys.
Sadly, I was too busy to actually take pictures of the event. And Shawn was too occupied discussing what makes the proper derby car to the other fathers to take his own photos.
Christine Little was in charge of this event and it was hands down the best one I've ever been to. She had special pit crew tags for the scouts to wear so they could sit in a section just for them to view the races. She had all kinds of concessions that fit the car theme. She was so organized. She had an individual award for each boys car, and a trophy for Jack as the overall winner. Nobody left empty handed, and everybody left smiling.
Now that Shawn has all the equipment he acquired for this last derby, I'm sure the next one will be just as over the top.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
No comments:
Post a Comment