My brother Ben and his wife Jena have amazing friends. They all love Ben and Jena immensely. To show their love and support of Ben's ALS, they decided to host an event that they called "Run for Ben". It was a community 5k run/1 mile walk with all proceeds going to help Ben's little family with all the medical expenses. I wasn't going to miss this event for anything. I went solo just because it was such a quick trip. The race was scheduled for Saturday morning. My parents were staying in the vacation home of some friends in St. George and there was enough room for our immediate family to crash there also. The night before the race my mom decided to host a little family gathering to feed the extended family coming into town. And also because it was another chance to get to visit with everyone.
It was heartwarming to see so much extended family supporting Ben. Some of these relatives I hadn't seen in 7 years. It was such a great night! Don't I have the most handsome brothers on the entire planet?!
I loved every. Single. Minute. Of getting to spend such precious time with this fantastic group of people. They are all hilarious. And just happy people. I come from pretty good stock. I missed having my kids around to get to meet everyone, but in the same regard it was kind of nice to be able to visit without worrying about anyone but myself. (Thanks Shawn for allowing me this opportunity!)
The next morning was the actual run. My siblings and parents met at the Green's house (Jena's parents) to take a few pictures before leaving.
Ben's friends wanted us all to arrive a little bit after the majority of race people had arrived so Ben could be welcomed in style. What a welcome it was. Breathtaking actually. I've been to quite a few 5k races. I've even been to a few that are simply just like this one that benefit a specific family. None of them have been very large. But this group? Awe inspiring. My eyes were filled with tears just witnessing the masses. Not only had most of our relatives traveled distances to be in attendance, but friends. Friends from far off that haven't been seen in years. Ben had friends show from Moses Lake Washington, High School friends, Mission buddies, and old college roommates. It was incredible. And meant the world to Ben. And to all of us. My good friend Raquel showed up, and so did Shawn's sister Anna. So. Much. Support.
Massive amounts of photos were taken to capture the event. Photos before the race:
Photos during the race:
And even photos after the race:
We hung around until every last person headed to their car. Such a great morning to be a part of. It was so nice to see all the support Ben and Jena have as they endure this ALS lifestyle. My immediate family headed back to the house we were staying in to lounge around the pool. Some friends stopped by every once in awhile to visit and hang out. Very relaxing afternoon. My plane left the next afternoon, Sunday. We spent a little time at the park. Since I didn't have any kids to monitor, I got to spend some quality time with my dad just visiting.
I then boarded the shuttle to take me back to the Vegas airport where I flew back home. I'm so very grateful to have been afforded the opportunity to join my family this weekend. I love them all so much. It's difficult to see one of my siblings struggling through something like ALS. It's actually comforting to be around Ben because it reminds me that he is still Ben. ALS might be taking his body. But it's definitely not taking his spirit. His sense of humor. Or anything else about him. He'll always be Ben.
No comments:
Post a Comment