Friday morning I flew into the big apple. Alone. With directions and a location to pick up his apartment key. I hopped in a cab and made my way to the lower east side to the Klean and Kleaner laundromat where a key was left in an envelope for me to retrieve. Funny thing is? The key wouldn't actually open the outside door. Nice. A fellow tenant was leaving so I was able to sneak in. Luckily the key to his actual apartment let me inside. I have to give NYC credit for making every space usable. Small would describe the apartment. But it definitely had it's unique characteristics. And a spiral staircase.
Charlie has become really good friends with a girl named Diane. (With one "n") I mention her because she was the first person I called. No. I've never met her previous to this phone call. But. Charlie was going to be stuck at work until evening so she offered to take me into SOHO shopping. Who can resist an invitation like that? After hearing a description of her, we agreed to meet for lunch at a place called Rubys.
Diane is one of those girls that you feel like you've known forever, even though you are really eating lunch with a complete stranger. After lunch we headed to do a bit of shopping. We hit all the stores I had in mind, and just as we were tiring of the shopping world, Charlie arrived on the street.
That evening we had purchased tickets to see Mike Birbiglia's comedy show. Before that we had to try another amazing restaurant. Char and Di know all the hotspots. Caracas. Venezuelan food. Arepas. Amazing. Then to the show.
Hilarious. At one point I was laughing so hard it hurt and I didn't know if I'd ever be able to recover.
| Charlie and Me |
| Diane, Charlie, Me |
Perfect show. And then perfect dessert at a place called the dessert truck. Chocolate bread pudding and Chocolate lava cakes with homemade ice cream. Then off to sleep off the food coma I was headed into.
Saturday morning was rainy, so we nixed our run. Did I mention I slept until 9 am? Uninterrupted? Sweet. We met Diane for brunch at a place called Frankies. I guess brunch is huge for New Yorkers.
I loved the unique style each restaurant possessed. And how each place is so small you are shoulder to shoulder with complete strangers. And nobody feels awkward. I tried the steel cut oats with fruit. Not a disappointment either. Yum.
We then went and saw a movie. The new one out by the guy that did "supersize me". All about advertising. I'll never be able to see TV or a movie the same again.
Charlie works as a civil engineer for a company based in Germany. It's a company that specializes in cool projects. And glass. Charlie showed me a few of the projects his company is in charge of. One of their huge clients is Apple. They make all the Apple buildings. And the cool glass staircases in the larger ones. They also have a few other projects around town I was able to see. Pretty cool job.
| Hell's Kitchen |
| The view from another angle |
| Charlie and Diane enjoying the view |
We decided that night to eat at a place called Ippudo. Since the wait was going to be 2 1/2 hours, we decided to get massages to pass the time. Amazing. I've never had one before. I won't let it be my last either. Then we still had another hour or so to wander the streets until our table was ready. It turned out to be worth the wait. Japanese style. Ramen noodles. Not your typical Top Ramen Packet of seasonings either. Amazing flavor.
Sunday morning we awoke (again at 9! I could get used to this!) to a sunshiny outside. We decided to run. We left Charlies apartment and headed to the Manhattan bridge. Before we hit the bridge we stopped to take a picture of this monument. Kind of cool.
From the Manhattan bridge we got a nice view of the Brooklyn Bridge.
We crossed into Brooklyn where we viewed artwork on the street then headed onto the Brooklyn bridge.
| On the Brooklyn bridge |
| View of Manhattan bridge from Brooklyn bridge |
If I could train for a half marathon in NYC it might be a little more fun. Just a little.
After our run we had to consult with our travel agent Diane, who's been a New Yorker longer than Charlie.
Brunch again. The Spotted Pig. No pictures this time. I must have been drooling over the eats too much to remember to take the shot. Then we headed over to what is called the Meat packing district. There used to be a train that ran above ground and carried all the waste out of the city, but it is now paved and full of plant life. We enjoyed the sunshine along with most other people in the city. We even ran into a famous person. Josh Charles. Only I know him as Will Gardner from the Goodwife. He was so close to me at one point I could have honked his nose. And we made eye contact. Because I didn't want to be an annoying tourist interrupting his day, we tried to take distant pictures.
If you click on the picture you might be able to make him out. He's the one in the black hat way off in the distance. I'm now famous by association.
We wandered a lot more and ended up at Washington park. At least I think that's what it's called. And some Gelato at it's finest. For a neverreallyeatengelatobeforegirllikeme.
We hung out for awhile and watched a four man group trying to hussle donations by putting on a show. They were pretty good. At the show. And at the hussling.
Then we grabbed a slice of traditional NY style pizza and headed back to Charlies. So sad. My trip was coming to a close. So much more to see. And waaaaaay too many more places to eat! My trip ended the way it started. In a cab.
Thank you so much Charlie for inviting me to share your city life with you for the weekend. And for you Diane. For being such a great tour guide. And a really fun girl to hang with. One day I hope to return to start our own documentary "eating your way through the city". And I truly hope it takes 8 years to accomplish. That would be a fun job. I hope New York can squeeze in a family of seven.
12 comments:
I heart this post. What an exciting adventure. I'm happy for you that things fell into place.
BTW, I am still really bummed that Charlie's cycling blog ended. Or else he moved locations and didn't give me his new address...since I basically stalked him. It was the highlight of many of my weeks.
I loved living in New York. This made me miss it a bit. :/
We ate at that gelato place! You trip looks like it was so much more fun than ours (we had a 2 yr old in a stroller).
So so so JEALOUS!!! Craig is going to NYC next week for work and I'm jealous of him too! It looks like you had a blast and I'm so glad you got the chance to have an great experience. Maybe one day we should meet up somewhere great and eat our way through the city.....yeah, I like that idea!
I am jealous! New York is so much fun. If you ever get a chance to go back, you should have breakfast or brunch at Clinton Street Bakery. Awesome blueberry pancakes--doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but it is delicious--they have hot maple butter to pour over them. . . yum.
So other than food, I kept hearing about DIANE in this post. Is there something else that you or Charlie should be telling me?
Susan, we actually had our name on the list at Clinton street but were so hungry we crossed the street to eat. Charlie said Clinton street is way better! Next time.
Audrey, nothing to tell. Just a great girl that I really like.
Wow what an awesome trip! NY is the best!
The old railroad-turned-garden park was in this months' National Geographic. At least it sounds like it's the same one.
How exciting! Though, I am not sure I am jealous... as I'm still undecided if I ever want to even visit NY. Maybe you can convince me during our triathlon?
Looks like you had a great trip. I would love to go to NY without my kids.
Looks SO fun! NYC is on our list, but the list keeps getting bigger and bigger. =) You look great!!
Post a Comment