Sunday, April 10, 2011

Let the Season Begin!......

Rock the Parkway 2011.  I love love love this race.  They host a half marathon, 10k, and a 5k.  It's a fabulous course.  Last year was the first year of this particular race.  So.  Of course we had to attend this year.  It's tradition.  After the half marathon I did in October I jokingly told my girls I'd see them in the spring.  They thought I was joking.   I wasn't.  I'm a fair weather runner.  I don't do ice.  Or below 20 degrees.  That's when I choose to bond with my treadmill in the comfort of my basement.  Which I did.  So.  Some of these girls trained all winter and did the half at this race.  I chose the 10k.  Because it's a great season opener for us out of seasoners.  And I LOVE a 10k race.  Not too long, but not too short either.  If this was the story of the three bears, this is the one Goldilocks would choose.  Because it's the perfect distance.  
Five of us took advantage of the weekend and drove up the night before and stayed in a hotel.  Of course we shopped a bit and ate also.  Why not? 

Me, Jayme, and Michelle pre-race.  Michelle was one of the girls to do the half.  She only actually chose to do the half the night before.  But she was ready.  Mentally and physically.  She was also the one that coordinated the matching orange t-shirts for all the running group from our hometown to wear so we could spot each other on the course.  Genius.  And made it much easier to cheer friends on.
Jayme, Julie, Michelle, Me, Sarah.  In the hotel lobby on the way to the race.  The temperature was 47 degrees.  We all have our perfect running temperature, hence the differing apparel being sported.
This is actually the first race I started and ran entirely alone.  I wasn't the only one in the group running the 10k, but the girls that match my pace ran the half.  The first mile was a little lonely.  Once I got in my groove I began to enjoy the experience.  I finished in a happy place.
Back: Michelle, Julie, Sarah, Christine.  Front:  Jayme, me, Jennie.  What's the best part of enjoying a race with friends?  Lunch after!  PF Changs was the venue chosen for this event.  Glorious.  It's good to be back into the season.  I know that for true runners there isn't really a "season".  Take it for what it is.  I'm debating on doing another half in the fall.  Training sometimes becomes burdensome and takes some of the fun out of running.  I kind of want this summer to be the summer of the "fun" exercise.  Run when I feel like it.  Swim when I feel like it.  Bike when I feel like it.  Without the pressure of having to run 11 miles this Saturday or I won't be able to do the half in a few weeks.  But.  I'm a sucker for running with these girls.  They make my summer fun.  Chances are if they are training for a half, I'll end up doing one just to spend time with the girls I love.  Welcome back running outdoors.  I've actually missed you. 

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

so fun! our "season" is just ending... soon it will be to hot to even consider walking outdoors.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.