*I realize I am waaaaaay behind on posts. My kids hog the computer all day, and at night I'm beat. I'm gonna play the catch-up game. For journaling purposes. And because we've had a lot of fun these past few months!*
Ethan became obsessed with Rubik's cubes over Christmas break. He asked for a cube in his stocking. He got one. And then he actually learned how to solve it. Youtube tutorials taught him the algorithms. Crazy. He got to where he was really fast and needed to be challenged. He saved up and purchased a 5x5, 6x6, and 7x7. Yes. There are such things. And he learned how to solve them all also using algorithms. He begged and begged me to let him enter a competition. Lucky for him there was one two hours away in April. Being the good mother I am (I need some kind of credit) I opted to take him. And I'm glad I did.
This particular competition was held in a middle school cafeteria. A really nice cafeteria. Entering was quite intimidating. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I thought it would be. There were small groups of competitors. Serious competitors. That appeared to be late late teens and early twenties. With lots of long hair, piercings, and tattoos. None of which are bad. Just not what I expected. Especially when I have my 11 year old son trailing behind. Awkward. But. We were there with a purpose. We selected a table clear in the back where Ethan set down his stuff and started to warm up. If that's what it's called.
After a few practice tries he decided we should move up to the front where we could witness all the action. I admit, I was impressed. The host was an 8th grade boy whose parents had a "Rubik's cube official" flown in for the weekend to make it legit. (Flown in from Berkley. See. Point made.) Real timers, solving mats, and judges were placed up front where the audience could fully enjoy each competitors event. One of the guys in his late teens even brought his own groupies:
Complete with Rubik's cube skirts. Awesome. Ethan competed in the 3x3 rounds.
He was one place away from making it to the finals. Top 12 made it, he was 13th. So close. And not bad for being the youngest one competing. He was smack dab in the middle ranging from best to worst. He rocked it out. He competed in the 4x4:
And also in the one-handed division:
While the judges were doing their thing and there was a bit of time to spare, they teamed up and did a blind folded version. The person blindfolded was the solver, and the teammate called the moves to help make the solve. Ethan found a friend named Sam. A sophomore who also convinced his mother he needed to enter this competition. A very nice kid. Who was impressed by Ethan's skill. Because Ethan beat him with ease. And was pretty modest about it.
For a while Ethan would eat, breathe, and sleep Rubik's cubes. Since the competition his passion has kind of waned. I'm so glad he convinced me to take him to this event. I loved spending the time with him, and watching him succeed in his element. He told me "I love just being around people who understand what it means to be a solver. And to not have to explain what an algorithm is." Smart boy. Way smart boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
3 comments:
WOW! Go Ethan.
way smart is right. Go Ethan! I am so impressed. And good for you for taking the time to get him there and support him. Just think, if you had said, "let's wait and go next year," he may not have been interested anymore. Great experience. You're such a great mom.
Very impressive! That is pretty cool how well he did.
Post a Comment