Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Switcharoo....

I admit it. I am a fan of the bachelor. I have watched every season, except the first one. I don't know why I like it so much. Is it because I truly think you can fall in love in 6 weeks time? Or is it because I love to watch caddy girls act like themselves with each other in a house they are forced to live in together and then act like completely different people around the man they are all trying to win over? Whatever the reason, I'm hooked. Some seasons have been boring. The girl he will choose is so blatantly obvious from day 1 that it isn't even fun to watch the other girls get sent home. Then there are other seasons that have my heart racing. Like the season that ended yesterday. There were actually 3 girls that I really thought had a shot. All 3 were left until the end. But the very end is where I wasn't sure what would happen. When Jason chose Melissa (yes, I will use their first names like I know them) I wasn't too surprised. He proposed at approximately 8:56 by my clock. Then at 9:04 on the "after the final rose" episode, he changed his mind. What?! Changed his mind? He broke up with the one he proposed to and asked the one he sent home for another chance at love. Curious. At first I was kind of angry at him. As were most of the women in the U. S. of A. Then I felt really sad for him. Sad that he was trying to go with his heart and was going to be severely punished for it because it happened on national television. It was really crumby that he had to wait 6 weeks to realize he'd chosen poorly. And probably even worse that now Molly must feel like she was really only 2nd best. Hmmm. Most people might think you can't really be in love with 2 people at the same time. But, I disagree. I was, once. When I met Shawn I had a guy who was serving a mission for our church that I was "waiting" for. In reality it meant he was working his tail off and I was dating everything I came in contact with. Shawn proposed to me 3 weeks before he returned. When he returned and I saw him all those old emotions and feelings came rushing back. I remember feeling so confused and stressed out about making the right decision. My mom was even more stressed. I remember as we took the invitations to the printers she said "Now, once these are sent that is it. No backing down." Ultimatums. I remember the moment that I knew my answer. It was actually after a really good conversation with the man I didn't choose. He probably left my house that night thinking that he had a shot with me. He couldn't have been more wrong. I knew in my heart and soul that Shawn was the one for me. It was still hard to break the news to the one I was letting go. But I just kept my eye on the prize. I have never once looked back. And let me tell you, Shawn and I had a hard first year of marriage. It just wasn't what either of us had expected. But I never once regretted my decision, or thought I'd chosen poorly. I never once considered running back to the one I'd let go to beg for another shot. I was given my answer when I needed it and I could not deny that. Shawn is so perfect for me in every way. I am better because of him. And I like to think he is better because of me. So, I feel bad for Jason Mesnick and all the women that now hate him. He just wasn't given enough of a chance to get his own true answer. In reality, you can't work on someone elses time schedule. But, I guess ABC doesn't care about time schedules. They just want viewers. Viewers they have a lot of. Eternal relationships? Not so much.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I think I would have to watch you date on national tv...... I would have tuned in!

Ashley said...

Ah..that's what happened. I keep hearing that something big happened, but didn't know. I agree--give the man a break.

Us Lochers said...

I think he chose Melissa because it was the safe choice... what he was looking for. BUT his heart really wanted Molly.

Yes, I've been watching too. sad, I know.

Personally, Canada girl was the best choice... he just didn't see it yet. he he he

Danelle said...

Hey Jayne, Danelle here, hope you don't mind I check out your blog from Lynz's. I had a photo of Ethan on my blog a while back, it was there for Lynz's birthday...he was a teeny tiny baby, smaller than baby Presley is now. Anyway, I wanted to leave a comment on this blog. I watched, too, and I posted, too. I didn't really have a problem with him changing his mind (even though I think Molly is a robot with shallow emotions) I just thought it was a big lie that the two of them hadn't spoken to each other over the previous six weeks. It was either really poor acting on both of their parts, or a really sorry reaction on her part. That will be really funny if Jason shows up on Jillian's season explaining that he made a bad choice sending HER home and wants another chance, like DeAnna did. Such the drama.

Anyway, sorry for the huge comment. And don't feel like you have to go private just because some weirdo is posting comments...in case you haven't read the comments I've left on Charlie's blog, I have adopted myself into your family.

DeGooyer Family said...

What a great story! I have a similar one, but it had a completely different ending - kind of psycho - maybe if you're bored you can call and I'll tell you about it. =)

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Okay, I don't watch the batchelor...too much drama for me... but I loved reading YOUR drama ;) And I totally believe in falling in love in 6 weeks (or in the case with Roger and I, 2 weeks from first date to engagement)...and I had a missionary as well. He was ready to board a plane to leave his mission and come and convince me to "change my mind." HA! Luckily, he finished out his mission and when he came back I was already married. He did show up to the university/young marrieds ward that we were in once he got back (on purpose or just to check out the girls, I don't really know, but he never came back). Of course I had to say hi so I didn't appear to be a heartless witch...I felt like an idiot, and my husband loved every minute of me being completely uncomfortable. I told him he should've been a bit more careful...there was no guarantee that he wasn't going to get a punch to the face...

Deeanna said...

I totally agree with Darla about Jillian...I loved her. I'm actually excited that she's the new Bacheorette. Now I'll have to continue being a closet Bachelor/ette watcher since I loved Jillian so much.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.