Yep. Ethan was one of them. Surprisingly there were a few 3rd graders. Ethan attributes that to the confidence that age brings. "The 5th graders aren't going to study because they will just think that 3rd graders can't win. Us 3rd graders are too scared NOT to study". He is pretty bright for only being 9. After the 5th round they were down to only 3 competitors. The one looking at the camera was one of them.
Monday, March 16, 2009
S-P-E-L-L-E-R....
A few weeks ago Ethan came home with a list of 1,000 words. He was chosen to represent his 3rd grade class in the school spelling bee. He would be competing against 4th and 5th graders. Ethan has never had an issue with confidence. Knowing that he'd be the youngest age group competing only motivated him. We practiced. The first week we went over quite a few words. Then it kind of lost it's excitement. I would mention to him every once in awhile that we should be practicing, but he kind of shrugged it off. This last week we were in St. Louis with Shawn. I tried to practice on the drive over, but 10 minutes in he was done. So, I left it. I decided this would be the time where he would learn that practice is needed to excel at something. Only Shawn wasn't willing to give up. I think they spent 6 hours or so poring over the words. Shawn went through the extensive list and put dots by the ones he kept missing so I could review them with him. We made it through most of them this morning during breakfast. Ethan was acting like his typical over-confident self. Not in the "I can't stand this kid" kind of way, just the "so what if I'm in 3rd grade. I've practiced" kind of way. Hmmm. I tried to let him know that I only expected his best. Winning isn't always necessary to feel good about ones self. The bee started at 3:45. Let me tell you. I was a nervous wreck. Not because of all the finagling I had to do to get my other kids from point A to point B (thanks Krystal and Christmas), not because Presley had gotten her 6 month shots 1 hour prior, but because my son was going to have to stand in front of an entire audience and spell words correctly. I was scared for him. Scared for him to fail and feel like a failure. Scared that my "lesson" on the importance of working hard would backfire and he'd just feel like a loser. I found my seat and my stomach was in knots. Ethan entered with the rest of the spellers and I hurried over to tell him to go slow, take his time, and then I kissed him on the cheek. I don't know if that embarrassed him or not. I was too nervous to care. 50 spellers started out. They started with the easy list. I was surprised when some kids got out on words that are commonly used in the English language. I'm sure nerves played a huge part. After 4 rounds there were only these 8 kids left:
Wow. At this point I thought he actually might win this thing. 3 people left. Two were 4th graders. One was my son. Crazy. He was up. His word was "isthmus". He spelled it without a hitch. And later admitted it was a complete guess on his part. The next two girls spelled their words wrong. He was asked to spell one more word correctly to be declared the official winner. "Turquoise". (Sadly, I will have to spell check this before I publish just to be sure I spelled it correctly.) He was declared the official winner and given a 50 dollar savings bond. And he holds the title for the 2nd 3rd grader in all of the schools history to win the spelling bee. My Ethan. Hard work does pay off. Being a natural speller helps too. But it's the work that helped you win.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
16 comments:
AWESOME!!!! Congrats to the winner!! :)
CONGRATULATIONS ETHAN!!!!! Way to go! Wow! I'm impressed!!!!!
good work ethan!!! You get that skill from grandma Deb
Don't you just love watching your kids accomplish things! Gives me chills!! :)
Way to go Ethan! Seriouslly, that kid has always been brilliant. I remember he and Andrew being toddlers in the tub after a day of swimming and the things he would say would always crack me up. And not in the: "What a cute toddler" sort of way, but rather in the "Holy Crap, that kid's so smart" kind of way! Looks like he's still got it!
O mi gudness, Ethun, thaht iz rilly cule! Knot ownly iz et grate thaht yu kan spel, butt it'z awlso grayt thet ewe kan dew sew whale undre preshure. Uhmayzing. Weigh two goe! Hav fhun whith thaht sayvengs bahnd...zzzzzzzzzz.
Are you kidding? That's awesome! I love his reasoning on why 3rd graders study. That boy is too smart, I love it.
WOW! Impressive!
Good job Ethan. This is Timothy speaking. Call you sometime.
I am not surprised one bit. That kid is smart. Tell him congrats!
Ethan, Great Granny is soooo proud of you. You are just tooo smart. Love ya
WOW, this is awesome!! What an accomplishment.
Wonderful! That usually means you have more work ahead of you, so keep it up.
I had a feeling from the beginning of this post that it would end this way:) Congratulations to Ethan :)
Way to go Ethan!!!
Ha! When Meg went to regionals I seriously thought I was going to vomit. I can't believe your school gives out savings bonds! Here they don't even really give any notice unless you make it past the first few bees. My kids now intentionally fail the first test because they don't want to go through all the stress of so many competitions. That's awesome they encourage them at the school level.
Post a Comment