Jackson has been a little troublesome as of late. He missed me. And he misses his dad. When we got back late Wednesday night he was in bed. Shawn was on call Thursday and then left for a long work week. He was on call yesterday too, which meant Jack really hasn't seen him for over a week. I can tell a noticeable difference in behavior when Shawn hasn't been around. Last night Shawn was baby-sitting an epidural and had a free hour before his next surgery so the kids and I took him dinner. When it was time to leave Jack didn't want to go, of course. Shawn, being the loving man that he is, suggested I leave Jack with him. He said he would set him up in the OR lounge watching TV. I was hesitant at first, but the thought of only having to put the easy kids to bed made me quickly depart before minds were changed. We had a lovely evening at home. I told Landon to get his sippy cup of water and climb into bed. I went looking for him 10 minutes later and he had tucked himself in with a book. Nice. A 3 year old that tucks himself in. After all 4 kids were asleep I started to worry about Jack. It was 9:30 and I hadn't heard anything. I paged Shawn and he said they were headed home. When they walked in Jack had a grin the size of Texas on his face. He was also wearing a surgical cap. He ran to grab the picture he drew. I was a little confused. Shawn said that as he was setting him up in the lounge the surgeon walked in and said "Oh, we got a little guy with us tonight?" He was then given the okay to suit him up. Jack donned the doctor garb and sat next to Shawn throughout the surgery. He even drew a picture of what he saw. (I'll add it when I can load it on the computer.) Shawn said he was very appropriately behaved for a surgery setting. Wide eyed and entranced by the whole procedure. He was especially fascinated with the blood. Anyone that knows Jack knows that he loves the body and anything "skeleton". He's always said he would be an orthopedic surgeon one day because then he can do surgery and use tools at the same time. Insightful. Looks like he's a boy after his dad's heart. Only, dad anesthetizes the patient instead of operating. I'm so happy that Jack got to spend this time with Shawn. It was good for both of them. One of the docs took this picture with her phone:

Jack woke up and said "When me & Dad go to surgery tonight..." It's going to be rough explaining that that was a once in a lifetime experience. At least until he's old enough to go to Medical School himself.

Jack woke up and said "When me & Dad go to surgery tonight..." It's going to be rough explaining that that was a once in a lifetime experience. At least until he's old enough to go to Medical School himself.
* The yellow on the left is Shawn, the right yellow is both the patient and surgeon. The red on the right is blood coming from the patient sucked into the tube leading into the suction canister full of blood on the left. The blue is the bone clamp the surgeon used. Apparently he got really close up to this surgery to draw that kind of detail.
13 comments:
How fun! What a great memory for them both.
Your husband is amazing. What a great dad! Someday he might want to accompany Jack to surgery:)
What a good story! That's amazing he could sit there and watch the whole thing like that. And if I didn't know any better, I'd say that's Charlie in that surgical mask.
That has to be one of the sweetest things I have read in a long long time. Awesome.
that is so cute. So Jackson. miss you and your kids!
that is darling! like father like son
Wow, that is amazing that they let him in there! What a fun experience for Jackson, Emma sure does miss him!
These are the days Jayne. Enjoy.
I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!! Viva la Kirksville!
What a cool thing Jack got to do! I don't think I could sit through a surgery...Curtis was getting a shot on his nose and I about passed out;) Nope...I was never meant to do what Shawn does...unfortunatly for my husband that has to pay for my life;)
I think Jackson had the experience of a lifetime, how many other boys his age have watched such a great performance. I can see why he would love it. Too bad you can't let that happen often, Jayne.
That is so cool! He is never going to forget that night. I love the picture of him and Shawn in their duds--could your boys be even cuter?
What? I would have been traumatized for life. I love that he enjoyed it. I love that they let him go in. I love that he drew a picture of it :)
Post a Comment