Thursday, November 13, 2008
Breakthroughs...
Tomorrow Landon will turn 3. A big milestone. Except he is still in diapers. For the last 6 months or so we've been talking up the toilet. Letting him know that only big boys wear underwear and babies wear diapers. A few weeks ago I said, "Landon, don't you want to wear big boy underwear?" His response? "No, I just like to wear my big diapers." Nice. Because of the recent addition to our family and my lack of desire, I haven't pushed the issue. I've learned from stubborn kids in the past that it's easiest just to wait until they are ready. Three days ago Landon was about to poop in his diaper. I knew it, because he told me that is what he was going in his room to do. I suggested he maybe go on the potty. Surprisingly he agreed. Voila. Poop in the toilet. I made a big production, gave him 4 pieces of candy, and put the diaper back on. The next day he came to me and said "I'm peeing". I again suggested the toilet, he sat, he went, and then claimed his delicious prize. He didn't pee in his diaper that day. Only on the toilet. Again, I have not suggested underwear, just kept putting that diaper back on. I don't want to spoil his excitement, and I really don't want to clean up urine all day yet. I'm not ready to go that far. Yesterday he went on the toilet every time he needed to go. This morning he went. A little while ago I got in the shower and he was watching TV. When I came out of the shower he wasn't in my room anymore, so I called to him to see where he went. He came running up the stairs holding his diaper in one hand and his pants in the other yelling, "I peed on the potty! I called to you to help, but you were in the shower so I did it all by myself!" I went and found a pair of underwear for him to put on. He decided it would be easier to take that off and on than his diaper. Nice. Being the mother of 5 I realize that I can't possibly be done. I foresee accidents in my future. Probably right now as I'm downstairs typing. But, going from only wanting to keep the "big diapers" to going on the toilet without even the suggestion is a huge breakthrough. Now maybe he won't have to be the only kindergartner who needs his mom to come half-way through the day to change him. That's where I thought we were headed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
10 comments:
Hip Hip Horray! Ben was very similar to Landon. He wouldn't even consider the underwear thing until one day when he woke up and said "No more diapers Mom." With disbelief, I tried it and the funny thing is--it worked. He only had 2 or 3 accidents because he did it on his terms and I bet Landon will be the same.
On a side note, I was thinking about potty training Sarah until
I read this and was reminded that it is just easier to wait.
That is SO awesome! Congrats to him and you!
I am in denial that he is 3. In my mind he is still the little boy just going into nursery. I do that a lot, keep some past age of kids in my mind and they never really grow up.
I got your note today! Thanks for it.
yeah, Landon! Alex wasn't potty trained until just before his 3rd bday either.
Things I have to look forward to. Ugh! It sound like its gone really well, though! If I ask Jacie if she is poopy she will say yes or no according to whether she is or not. Sometimes he wont' answer and walk away. Always, always its because she needs a butt change. kids are so funny.
That is so exciting. How have Shawn's bowel movements been lately?
YAHOO!!! I am so jealous.... you sound like you have the system down. When do you want my kids to come over?
Wow!!! That is amazing. Hope the rest goes well too.
Hopefully most of your readers have already read this post. Here's a doozy for you...without too much detail. My mom had to come get me to change the bottom clothes everyday for a week once a month in fourth and fifth grade. Now that's not fun!
P.S. If you are coming this way for any job/house hunting, please plan to get together! I'm sure they pay for your accommodations, but if not, we'd love to put you up.
What an inspiring story, I'm so glad he did it!! Yea for you!!!
Post a Comment