
Today was officially the first day of school. This is the first year my kids took over completely. I wasn't allowed any kind of say in which outfit was worn, how the hair was styled, or anything like unto it. These two have definitely grown up a lot this summer. This is also the first year I
wasn't ready for them to leave my home. Anyone that knows me understands that on the last day of school I find out when school is to once again begin and circle it on the calendar with a big red marker. Usually I'm so excited for them to start back up I can barely contain myself. Not this time. This summer went too fast. Both Ethan and Kennedy have been huge lifesavers when it comes to helping me out. Their little brothers adore them. They both really stepped up to help out due to my pregnancy. Ethan has turned into a little man that is just fun to be around. We found ourselves alone in the house quite a bit this summer and we played a lot of games together. I'm the champion of "Trouble" but nobody can conquer Ethan at "Sorry". Kennedy has turned into quite the young lady. She is so much fun when it's just me & her. She loves to shop, and talk, and do
girly stuff. But, she's also the first to catch the nastiest bugs in the neighborhood and somehow manages to become the dirtiest. I love that about her. I've really enjoyed them this summer. Today when they were getting dressed, and excitedly talking about anything and everything, I actually tried to hold back tears. Yes, tears.
Weird. I dropped Ethan off first, he's too old to have me walk him in the building. Then we headed over to Kennedy's school. I got to actually walk her in. I really wanted to hug the heck out of her, but was trying to restrain myself. She is in 2
nd grade you know. Luckily her class was already leaving the gym and she jumped in line at the end. None of her classmates were looking so she allowed me a hug and a kiss on the forehead. I teared up after I told her I loved her. What is wrong with me. I've never felt this before. Hormonal probably. I also think I'm realizing the older my kids get the more fun they become. Only when they really start to get fun they start to trickle away from me. I hope this year is a good one for them. I hope their teachers treat them the way they deserve to be treated. I hope they find friends that make them happy. I hope they remember how much I love them. And how much I
like them too. Preschool starts for Jack in 2 weeks. Sadly, I don't anticipate tears being shed. The old me will probably come shining through in full force. Not that I don't love Jack, or enjoy him. I just
really enjoy preschool time.
8 comments:
It has been my observation that life comes to us in 'eras', if it can be called that. First there is the era of having a boat load of kids, all of them little. Gradually they start school, slowly shifting into an era when they are all in school, first grade school, then slowly they move on up into junior high school and high school.
You think it was bad today, wait until your first one merges you into the era that takes them to college, moving them away from home!
I will NEVER forget the emotions your mother and I went through when we dropped you off at your first college apartment, and then drove home without you......
I really enjoy preschool time too-it's not the same as sending your child out into the world. It's choosing to send them there just so you can have a break--in my eyes it's a huge difference. And if it makes you feel better, I get teary every first day of school--and I haven't been pregnant for that in quite a while.
I was going to tell you to enjoy your peace and quiet, but it's more realistic to say "enjoy your whining and fighting" since that's what the absence of the older siblings seems to create;-)
Alyssa doesn't start kindergarten until fall of '09, but I am already getting nervous about leaving her at school. I will probably tear up every day for a week!
I just did the first day of Kindergarten a few weeks ago and I assumed that would be the end of the emotion related to school beginnings. Are you saying this happens every year?
Jayne,
They look so grown-up. I have to admit that I have cried the first day of school for the last 2 years and Katie starts 2nd grade on Sept. 2nd. I am sure I will probably cry again. Summer went really fast here too. Sorry I missed you when we were in KV. Our time there always goes so fast.
Ok so you made me tear up too. It really is amazing how fast they grow up. You want them to grow and be their own person but you also can't help but see your "baby" and want to hold them a little longer. They are both amazing kids and I know that is because of you and Shawn.
I miss you Jayne. You never cease to make me laugh. Your blog is awesome and I love to read it! I hope everything goes well with the new babe!
My mom has told me how much she looked forward to having us home at the beginning of the summer and then how much she looked forwar to school starting again by the end of the summer.
Post a Comment