Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Great Debate...

This time it's carpet. After our basement flooded we decided we would just return to the place we ordered the original and just go with the same. Until we found out for unknown reasons the distributor doesn't distribute that anymore. Lovely. I've mentioned before how nightmarish choosing even the smallest of items with Shawn can be. I feel like we just barely got over this same debate. We spent about an hour in the carpet store with our children running a-muck coming to zero conclusions. Both of us were so un-excited to be choosing something to replace something we already loved. Not to mention the expense. Then Shawn randomly picked up a sample and said "This is it!". To my surprise I actually really liked his choice. Once I mentioned I liked it he scooped it up and ran out of the store with it. Any kind of emotion is so out of character for my husband that I just kind of sat there dumb founded looking at the sales lady. I said, "I guess I'll need to set up a time for you guys to come measure?" We took the sample home and debated some more on color. One issue we've encountered is that the bottom of the stairs was also ruined. That carpet was the carpet that matches all of the upstairs and the steps themselves. It is the cheapest carpet on the market and we've hated it since day one. We agreed that maybe we should just replace upstairs in all but the bedrooms. That just added one more color to choose. Surprisingly we chose each with ease. This carpet happens to be really high-end. (Not surprising since it was chosen by the man I love). Trying to save a few bucks a yard, Shawn started calling places out of town. He found one in Kansas City that can give us a small discount. We are getting samples in the mail this week. I'm skeptical. I just want to order it here, in town, today. I really need it laid before the end of August for sanity reasons. Shawn assures me we will have it ordered one way or another by Friday. Still skeptical. I'm sure this skepticism comes from the recent purchase of online glasses he made. He was trying to avoid paying for an up-to-date eye exam. He finagled his prescription from a receptionist and ordered some online. Turns out he ordered them from Italy. We had to fight customs for a few weeks, then ended up getting another bill to pay for the fees of said customs battle. Once the glasses finally arrived and Shawn put them on he of course could not see. Obviously not the right prescription. So this week he will be visiting the eye doctor, paying for the exam, and paying for new lenses that we've already paid good money for. Anyone can see why I think him trying to save a few bucks is questionable. I just want carpet in my basement so my life can return to the way it was.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

Though I've never purchased carpet, I have heard that if you order directly from the distributors in Georgia--apparently a huge carpet making state--you can save lots of $$. Just an idea.

Natalie said...

Nice, new, clean carpet.......lucky you, once it is in. Is there really only 31 days until your due date??

Sarah said...

what a hassle. Funny story about the glasses, though. Probably not for you...
I hate it when you try to save and you just get taken anyway. So annoying.

Rebecca Pierce said...

Whatever happened to the men who didn't have opinions about anything decor/hosehold related? Maybe they disappeared with the women who cooked, cleaned and didn't complain. That must be.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.