Saturday, June 23, 2007

Simple Saturdays Made Fun........

Shawn was working today, so I tried to fill the day with entertainment. I say that it's for the kids, but I really think it's to entertain myself. If I'm entertained, the day seems to go by quickly and smoothly. We woke up this morning, had breakfast, got dressed, cleaned our rooms, made our beds, then headed out the door to the bike path. It's kind of a chore to take a seat out of the van to make room for various bicycles and one jogging stroller, but worth the effort. On our drive over I noticed a dark gloomy sky. It was sprinkling but the kids voted we attempt the path anyway. I was glad because I wasn't able to drag myself out of bed early for my date with the treadmill, and I needed to exercise today. We parked by the kids school and started the trek. The kids took off and I was able to run while pushing Landon. (Sometimes I have to walk because Jack seems to dawdle, but with the older two he didn't want to be left in the dust). It started to rain a little bit harder as we neared the end, but we were able to avoid the downpour that occured shortly after getting loaded back into the van. We made a quick trip to walmart, then headed back home for a snack and me a shower. Landon was nearing naptime, so we put him into bed and headed downstairs with blankets to watch "Bridge to Terabithia" that I rented for us yesterday. Halfway through we had to pause for me to make us a quick picnic lunch to eat while we enjoyed the rest of the movie. The movie ended and I gave each kid one piece of dove chocolate to wash down their lunch. I came into the room with the computer and left the kids to their own choice of entertainment. Jack came in 5 minutes later looking like this:

He said he didn't want the word (Dove) written on his chocolate so he rubbed it on his face to melt it off. What happened to just licking it off? Who knows. About the time I was done washing the chocolate off Jack, Landon woke up. We noticed the rain had subsided so decided to head outside for some fresh air. Kennedy entertained herself by drawing with chalk. These pictures really don't do her art justice, but on the left is a huge flower, and the right picture is a watering can. She had water coming out of the can onto the flower, but I couldn't quite fit it all in a picture.
(The artist is cuter than the artwork anyway!)

Jack and Landon rode around on the trike for while.








Kennedy caught a baby frog.










Jack made grassy, muddy, soup that he called pizza.






Then we headed to the Redbox to return the movie we watched earlier. What fun is it to return a redbox movie and not get ice cream? We indulged. I didn't need to order any for myself because I'm the designated drip-licker. Believe me, there are a lot of drips. Definitely at least one servings worth.



Home again. Back outside. Ethan decides to show off his jump-roping skills. It isn't until I get out the video camera that he starts making mistakes. Jump-roping jitters.


He decided since the video wasn't showing his perfected talent accurately, he'd turn the sport into a lasso. Boys.

That wasn't enough "boy" trouble so squirting the aforementioned chalk art seemed to take precedence over any kind of productive activity.

Of course this brought full on tears from the artist.

Seems like tears come in waves of at least two.

I was able to convince the art-squirting-lasso-roping brother to catch frogs instead.

Dinnertime. Finally. Free Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas, courtesy of the Library Summer Reading program.

Back outside yet again. But this time I kept the littlest one covered in pizza sauce in the house to take a bath. 7:00 three more bodies slip into the tub. Nobody wearing clothes this time. Littlest into bed while I snuggle on the couch with the bigger ones for 45 minutes of uninterrupted book reading. (We all want to earn every single prize possible from the library this summer, right?) 8:00 four little bodies snuggled deep under the covers. One asleep, one reading with a headlamp, one wiggling the top bunk to irritate his brother, one reading out loud to the one that is asleep. Me? I'm downstairs blogging due to full on procrastination. I need to plan my Relief Society lesson for tomorrow. After a full day like today all I really want to do is dip into my jacuzzi bathtub, jets full on, and read my book that I've been trying to get to all day. (Mine doesn't have any pictures).

11 comments:

Melody said...

Wow, what a beautiful account of your day. This is exactly what people mean when they say "enjoy the moments". I love that you recorded all the great little details. That video of the boys on the trike is priceless! And the dove on the face... I had to call Paul in to see that one! Too funny!
Thanks for sharing!

Eric said...

I love it! What a wonderful day, or if it wasn't wonderful, at least your written rendition of it made it seem so.

You have a wonderful way of combining words, pictures and video that make it so very much fun!

Thanks for brightening my day!

DeGooyer Family said...

Jayne, you are such a great writer! I think you should send some of this stuff in to the Kirksville Daily Express!! =)

Ashley said...

I love your writing. Jack kills me! How did he get that dirty from one little dove chocolate? And how nice that you have a jacuzzi tub to relax in and read. That sounds like the best way to end the day. Did you get to?

Anonymous said...

You guys definetly know how to fill a long summer day! It sounds like you had a great time. Your kids are so cute. We just bought our tickets to Idaho, Aug 7-15 so we will have to get together for sure. Park, dinner, both sound great!

Katherine said...

I loved reading this, Jayne! What a fun Saturday. I'm like you, I want Saturdays to be fun for me and my kids, even if Bobby has to be gone all day. Great pictures. Jack and the melted Dove bar is hilarious. He has such an imagination.

You have a jetted tub? I am so jealous! If anyone deserves one, it's you!

Jill said...

What a fun day! Totally off topic but I watched "Catch and Release" today and you totally look like Jennifer Garner.

Tisha said...

What a fun day! The erasing the word "Dove" on the chocolate kills me!

Erin said...

What a great day! I love all the little details. Your kids are so funny. Who would know that Jack wouldn't want 'Dove' written on his chocolate? What a funny kid!

Anonymous said...

Jill----Jennifer Garner? Seriously? Do you know that you are my favorite person in the world for saying that?! (Even though I could only dream of really looking like her!)

Wilsons said...

That day sounds so fun! Your kids probably love having you as their mom...whether the entertainment is for you or them!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.