Saturday, June 16, 2007

Ironing clothes is fun to do........

On the rare occasion that I actually get the mountain of laundry at the end of my bed folded, sometimes I iron. I don't enjoy ironing but sometimes it's necessary. Jack, however, loves to iron. Not with the real iron, he's not allowed to touch objects that emit any kind of heat. He irons in his own creative ways. Last thursday was one of those rare ironing days. As I was ironing my last shirt, Jack came into my room carrying his own mountain of clothes. "Mom, when you're done I need to iron my things." What things? Every single shirt he owns. He emptied his entire drawer. He kept leaving and returning with things that kept me wondering. A box of baby wipes, a slinky, a surgical mask, and the garbage can from the bathroom. I lowered my ironing board to his height level, more out of curiousity than kindness. Then I grabbed the camera and sat back just to see exactly how he was going to use each item. First he put on the surgical mask, but since it covered his entire face he placed it on his forehead while he "prepared" the clothing. He layed a shirt on the ironing board then rubbed it down with a baby wipe. Next he put the slinky in one hand, and pulled the surgical mask over his face with the other. Not being able to see, he'd feel for the shirt, then run the slinky up and down over the material a few times. He'd then replace the mask on his forehead and fold the shirt neatly, run down the hall, put the shirt in his drawer, and then come back and start all over. I did have to ask what the garbage can was for because I didn't see its use. "To throw the wipes away mom." Not only does he iron, he thinks about cleaning up after himself.

12 comments:

Ashley said...

Could he be any cuter!?! I love that kid.

Tisha said...

So funny! Never a dull moment with Jackson around.

Erin said...

He is so funny! And quite the imagination, I love the mask!

Chantel said...

that is so cute! It looks like you have toxic laundry he is trying to iron!

Jill said...

That is so cute!

Anonymous said...

that was one of the best stories ever. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I have never laughed so hard!

Eric said...

Jackson reminds me of someone, but I can't figure out who.

Erin said...

Jayne, I have never laughed so hard. That is the funniest story I have ever heard. What a hoot. You have to record that in his journal or something. I love it!

Anonymous said...

What a doll! Very creative! Hopefully this is foreshadowing the type of teenager he will be...clean room, ironed underwear, sanitized hands...maybe, maybe not!

Wilsons said...

Your kids are just so darn cute! I love to hear your stories; they always crack me up!

rebecca said...

O.K. I am laughing so hard right now that I am crying!!! Oh,how I have always loved how his little brain works :)

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.