Saturday, June 16, 2007

I don't feel very good.......

Ethan woke up thursday morning saying "if today was a regular school day, and not a summer school day, I would stay home because I don't feel good". Summer school here in the 'ville actually pays my children to attend. (Okay, not just mine, everyone's). If they attend the entire month with no tardies or absences, they get $100. I know, crazy. But, if they miss one day it is reduced to $75, and two days it drops to a whopping 50 bucks. Any more absences and they are out of the money-grubbing circle. Ethan ONLY attends summer school because he is a self-proclaimed money-grubber. A little tylenol in his system and he was off for the day. At 11:45 I got a call from the school nurse. He had come in crying saying that he just needed to rest for awhile. She took his temp and it was 102.3. I asked her if he wanted me to come get him. Her reply? "Honey, legally I cannot keep him here with a temperature this high. You need to pick him up". I was actually scared to go get him. After one entire year of commercials, internet ads, magazines, and spoiled one-kid-only-in-the-family type friends, Ethan looks forward to this money. He's spent it 75 times, and also saved it in a large bank account in his mind which he assumes will come with a checkbook. (He offered to write me a check for 50 cents if I would kindly pay his library fine for him). I entered the nurses office and my poor sweet little boy was laying on the couch in tears. Not hysterical tears, just the I-really-don't-feel-good-and-want-my-mom kind of tears. When we got out to the van I asked if he was crying because he felt crummy, or if it was the money. He answered quietly, "both, but more for the money". I admit it, I'm weak. Too weak. I told him that because it wasn't his choice to come home, and if he went back Monday and finished the month, I would make up the money he lost by missing two days. What a sucker I am for little boy tears. Maybe I'm teaching him some horrible lesson in life like "Mom will bail me out", or something even worse that I haven't let my mind consider yet. But, for now, I'm just trying to get my sweet little boy to rest his little mind and take it easy. I'm also trying to encourage him to finish something he started, even if it's only for the big fat reward at the end.

4 comments:

Eric said...

There is nothing wrong with doing something with an eye for the big fat reward at the end. Why do most of us go to work?

I hope he is feeling better soon.

Erin said...

What a kind-hearted mom you are! That's funny that he is so excited for his cash reward. :)

Anonymous said...

With a face like that I will send him the money!!!

jayne said...

Aimee---you can write the check out to me and I'm sure it will be deposited into Ethan's account :)

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.