Tuesday, June 12, 2007
"freshly squeezed"
For the last 12 years, as long as I've been married, I've been in charge of the meals in our home. That is a lot of meals if you add them up. Quite a number of the recipes our family has grown to love calls for a few tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. I've become quite accustomed to retrieving the bottle of "freshly squeezed" lemon juice from the fridge and using the amount required. The food I make is always edible, sometimes even really good. At least Shawn never complains. I have had no problem using the stuff from the bottle. A few months ago I was at a cooking club meeting and my friend Katherine (a.k.a.The domestic Goddess) mentioned in passing that she only ever uses fresh lemons because nothing compares. I pushed the advice to the "retrieve when have energy" side of my brain, and for the last few months the lazy side of my brain has won out. Lately I've been dying to try this recipe both Katherine and Ashley have loved, Grilled Lemon Chicken with Lemon Fusilli and Spinach. I decided I'd prove to myself that real lemons don't make that much of a difference and go to the effort and use them for this recipe, but just this once. WOW. I can't believe the lemony flavor of tonights dinner. AMAZING difference. So, Katherine, you've won me over to your side. I'm still boggled as to how a company can really put "freshly squeezed" on a bottle that sits in the fridge for as long as it does. Better yet, how I could actually have believed it was truly "freshly squeezed" and just as good as the real thing. I'm now thinking I should move to a place where I can plant a lemon tree in the front yard.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
4 comments:
Way to branch out and try something new! I love reading what you have to say. You really should have a weekly column in a newspaper!
I always figured there was nothing better than a fresh squeeze!!!
I would save a fortune if I could have a lemon tree in my yard. For that reason alone, I would pay the high property taxes in California. Okay, that makes no sense. Nevermind, but it would be so nice! I'm so glad you've crossed over, Jayne.
I agree with Tisha! And yes, freshly squeezed really is better. But I keep a bottle of the other "freshly" squeezed in the fridge for "those" days. =)
Post a Comment