Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Circus is Coming! The Circus is Coming!

Only, we aren't going. I wish I could say it was because of some animal rights band wagon I've jumped on, but it's not. We have a t-ball game, the last one of the season, and we are snack. Though, that is just a good excuse for me not to have to attend this hyped up event. Remember, we are in the 'ville. This morning at 9 am they allowed everyone to come see the elephants erect the circus tent. In my mind I pictured a gigantic tent lying on the ground with 6 or 7 elephants tethered to various ropes. The ringmaster would yell "heave" and all the elephants would gracefully back up. Voila! Circus ready to be performed. When we pulled into the parking lot I noticed the huge tent lying flat on the ground already tethered to giant wooden stakes. People were standing awfully close to the tent to be able to fit the elephants, but I then noticed the elephants were still penned eating breakfast. Jack, Landon, and I wandered over to get a closer look. We then noticed more animals penned behind us so ventured a look in that direction. There were some camels, and donkeys. There was this strange looking animal that resembled a cow with horns, but a strange hump on his back. I'm still puzzled as to what that was. There were some goats, and even a hippo. I'm curious what kinds of tricks a hippo can do in the circus ring. We eventually wandered back over to the elephants and I noticed about 20 or so men tugging two giant ropes to erect the entrance of the big-top tent. I was a little disappointed to see human rope pulling, but my vision wasn't completely deflated------yet. A man entered the elephant pen and placed a huge harness on his back. (There were about 4 elephants total, but only 1 being harnessed). The anticipation I had felt was slowly dissipating. The man slowly led the elephant to the entrance of the tent and pushed him inside. Yes, I said inside. Then behind me a tractor started up. The tractor began pulling ropes to further erect the first half of the tent. Yes, a tractor. Vision destroyed. Was I seriously thinking it would be a magical experience to see giant animals putting together this gigantic tent? I was. Was it really POSSIBLE that it could have happened the way it did in my vision? Maybe. But then reality struck and I remembered where I was. Other than a total reality check with a childhood vision obliterated, it was a fun morning. After half the tent was erected we were able to go inside to witness the "elephant" helping put up the rest. (I couldn't really see what the elephant was actually doing because there was a gigantic tractor in my way.) My kids got to see the inside of an enormous tent, we got to see a few animals, and we were able to get out of the house. What more can actually be expected from a free circus?

3 comments:

DeGooyer Family said...

What a cute photo of you and the guys - they are very handsome. We went last night, and it was fun, but Dallin got REALLY bored, I didn't have enough money for all the extra activities, and every 5 minutes I heard the words "can I have that?" We still had a great time, but next year Brett will definitely be coming, too. =)

Ashley said...

You forgot to mention the stairs Jack is playing on led to an ominous landing, one stumble away from the elephant pen! That thing was a law suit waiting to happen.

Anonymous said...

I think you may or may not have watched Dumbo a few too many times as a child....fun day though!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.