I LOVE living in a neighborhood! We are surrounded by great people
with small kids. Because we are in a new subdivision there is rarely any through traffic so it's safe for the kids to ride bikes up and down, and around the corners without too much parental anxiety. Saturday there were about 10 kids riding bikes, running swing set to swing set, eating popsicles, and just enjoying the beautiful day. I parked myself in a camping chair next to Tiffany (another mom) and Landon and Grace (Tiffany's daughter the same age as Landon) just played with toys on the driveway. I feel like this just might be the most carefree summer I have had in the last, oh, 7 1/2 years!
1. I'm not a gigantic whale about to give birth.
2. I don't have a new little baby that needs bottles, naps, and to not be in too much sun.
3. I'm not puking from being newly pregnant.
4. I live in a great community in a GREAT neighborhood!!
5. Did I mention I'm not pregnant?!?
Our neighbo
rs the LaBeth's have a daughter who just turned 4. For her birthday she received a princess car. You know the kind that you can actually drive by pushing the pedals? You can go fast, faster, or in reverse. Well, my kids love that car. Especially Jack. In fact, I think he thinks it's a real car. I've noticed that since he's taken over her car he has become a backseat driver in MY car. He likes to let me know that the light just turned red and I should have stopped, or that I'm not going fast enough, or that the light is now green mom so go already. (even if I were to drive into the trunk of the person in front of me). Jack knows his boundaries of our neighborhood. He knows he can ride his bike around the corner to the stop sign, but he is NEVER allowed to turn at that stop sign onto the busy street and loop back onto our street. He is always supposed to return the way that he went. He's proven for the last year and a half since we've lived here that he understands that rule. On his bike. One day he hopped Landon into the little
princess car with him and drove off into the sunset. I watched him go around the corner headed for the stop sign. Then I just waited to see him returning. 1 minute. 2 minutes. 3 minutes. Where is Jack? He wouldn't have gone onto the busy street. He knows the boundaries. 4 minutes. Panic starts to set in. The only thing I can do is catch him turning back onto our street because it's too far to head him off at the stop sign. Pretty soon here comes my babies coming towards me. He did it. He took the extremely busy road Shepard. His answer? "Mom, I looked both ways. There were no cars coming. I was driving a car and you are supposed to go on busy roads in cars." We now have new rules and boudaries for 3 year olds driving cars.
rs the LaBeth's have a daughter who just turned 4. For her birthday she received a princess car. You know the kind that you can actually drive by pushing the pedals? You can go fast, faster, or in reverse. Well, my kids love that car. Especially Jack. In fact, I think he thinks it's a real car. I've noticed that since he's taken over her car he has become a backseat driver in MY car. He likes to let me know that the light just turned red and I should have stopped, or that I'm not going fast enough, or that the light is now green mom so go already. (even if I were to drive into the trunk of the person in front of me). Jack knows his boundaries of our neighborhood. He knows he can ride his bike around the corner to the stop sign, but he is NEVER allowed to turn at that stop sign onto the busy street and loop back onto our street. He is always supposed to return the way that he went. He's proven for the last year and a half since we've lived here that he understands that rule. On his bike. One day he hopped Landon into the little
5 comments:
Jayne you are so funny. Your kids are funny too, I guess they get it from you. I love your website! I am going to visit it often. I know what you mean about your first carefree summer in a long time. I am starting to realize my easy life is all going to be over for a while. O well it will come back eventually right?
Your mother used to just hate it when she would hear other people saying things like 'this is the best time of your life, so enjoy it! It goes by so fast!'.
I think she has learned that they are right.
Precious! We have a little truck and the kids love it as well! Our kids have done pretty well on it and have only managed to lose one kid out the side and roll it over once! I am excited for you to have an easy summer, you deserve it!
It's about time you get to relax a bit and what a relief to have a great neighborhood. You represent our hope for the future. :) Um, except the panic makes me a little terrified.
I used to love living in a neighborhood when I was younger. The summers were so much fun...kids everywhere! Someday Jayne, I will be you...or hopefully close to this situation!
Post a Comment