See this little sweet innocent girl (courtesy of Christina Dixon photography)?? Isn't she so innocent? Well, I am completely shocked at the conversation we had this morning. As I was doing her hair (brushing only, no pigtails mom) she kept mentioning Tate from her class. I asked if he was her new boyfriend. She said yes, and then proceeded to tell me that he kissed her at recess yesterday. So, being the sly mom I am, I pretend what she said didn't even phase me. Trying to keep up the conversation, I casually ask where this kiss took place. These are her exact words------"Well, he wanted to kiss me on the playground, but I didn't want anyone to see so I told him about my secret hiding place in the rocks. It's underneath the elephant slide."Me: Did he kiss you on the lips?
Her: No, just on the cheeks, but a lot of times! When he was done Parker said it was a lot of kisses!
Me: Did Parker watch?
Her: Well, he was blocking the doorway so nobody could see in, but he kept watching instead.
By now my head is spinning and I'm starting to lose consciousness, while still trying to maintain a nonchalant attitude. You see, I still want her to tell me things and am afraid this was one of those "make or break the relationship" type moments. If I overreact she won't ever tell me anything again. If I get upset and tell her this is not appropriate, she'll do it anyway and never tell me anything again. But, if I pretend it's no big deal and in the future when it isn't connected to something she tells me, teach her what is appropriate and what isn't, then maybe she'll keep telling me things and I can gently guide her? Well, that is the only theory I could come up with. I guess I turned out okay and I started kissing boys in secret hiding places at school in the 4th grade. (Sorry Mom.) One day she'll grow up and be married and have this same conversation with her daughter and she will then know what my heart felt like the day I found out she was interested in the opposite sex. I just hope she turns out as good as I did! (Thanks Mom)
8 comments:
Wow Jayne. I'm so impressed with how calm you stayed. I probably would have totally over-reacted with, "YOU DID WHAT?!?!" only to realize later that I should have played it cool.
Jayne,
I'm so glad you have a blog! You are an inspiration and I can't read it all now, but your now a link on my blog and I'll be checking back soon!
I am confused about that last line. Were you hoping she will turn out to be as good of a kisser as you or....? Just kidding. She is so beautiful and she looks just like her momma!
I am so scared for that day, you handled it perfectly!
You started kissing boys when you were in the 4th grade???!!!!
HI Jayne!
Thanks for sending a link to your life! I often wonder about you and your family.... and how you're going to like living in Salt Lake (I can still dream, right?)... eventually.
Your kids sure are growing up fast. I didn't even recognize Jackson and Landon.
It is definitely a hard balancing act.... between being a friend and a mother to your children.
Keep on "blogging!"
sorry, I forgot to put my name on that....
Ahhh Jayne, I was just thinking that she maybe found your private journal. This is just a good beffer course for when "THE " granddaddy of them all conversations come up. Good luck and gear up, it's just around the corner.
Post a Comment