Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Decisions....

We've been to the town we'll be moving to twice in the last week. The first time we were without kids (only Presley). We saw everything in our price range that was for sale. Even some that were already sold should we decide to build. We did it all in about 7 hours between two days. Obviously, you can tell by what little time it took that pickin's are slim. We have a few issues. One of them being the size of our brood. The other being that we are so in love with the home we live in we want nothing less. The third being that we are moving into our first place as temporary housing for a few years so we can eventually build the home we've picked out in our minds as ideal for us. Which means the home we buy needs to be easy to re-sell. A lot of issues for this quaint little town. After talking to the realtor and a builder, we thought maybe we'd build this interim house. We went back to check out some floor plans. With all the kids. Not ideal. And discouraging. We asked to see a few rentals that we could use while this first home was being built. They were 3 bedroom 2 bath brand new homes to rent--without a basement. Serious downsizing for a few months. But doable. It's a long 3 hours home so we had a lot of time to hash out our choices. We came to a conclusion after 24 hours of pondering and discussing. And hearing a bit of advice from Shawn's fellow practicing physicians. We are going to rent one of the rentals we saw. Only. It's not just for a few months. Probably 1 1/2 years. We will rent until the dust settles, the job shows us in reality what it does on paper, and we discover the best location for our ideal home to be placed. This sounds so simple. Yet. In my mind moving into this small house is like making 500,000 dollars a year and being told your new salary will be 30,000. A huge cut. And it will be really tight. The basement that we have now is such a great stomping ground for my kids. I can't tell you how many times in one day I say "take it downstairs". I am mentally trying to prepare myself for everyone to be in everyone elses way. For most of my things to be in storage. And for my treadmill to be in the garage. I sound so spoiled and selfish. It's only 1 1/2 years. Then I get the house I really want. I guess I just always thought that when we finally finished this long haul of a road we've been on there would be an upgrade to our lifestyle. Not a huge one, but some. Not a downsizing. I'll be fine. We'll be fine. It's just going to take time for me to mentally adjust to what is happening now vs. what I thought would be happening.

7 comments:

Susan said...

Jayne, You will make it. Just think, that will give you time to find the perfect home for you. I understand your disappointment, though. We are renting for a year, too. I am trying to stay positive.

DeGooyer Family said...

Oh, Jayne, I'm so sorry! I don't think we'd even fit into a 3 bedroom! You're brave. We were in the same boat, with the same choices, and the same decisions, so I know what you're going through. But who knows - maybe something will come on the market between now and July that will work? Just a thought.

Natalie said...

Rent sment...... build the castle now! J/K, being "adult" and "mature" about decisions like this is such a kick in the head. I think you need a weekend away with just the girls.........

Audrey said...

Oh, I'm so jealous that you've had a basement at all. They are almost nonexistent where I live because the ground is like a rock, so if you want a basement at all, it raises the cost of your house considerably.
I don't envy you this big decision, it's so hard to choose even if you had a bunch of great options.

Chantel said...

I am an awesome friend. Do you need help with any part of moving? We would love to have the kids come and play while you pack/un-pack. Email or give me a call if you need anything!!

Kimber said...

We did the rental interim while building this house and it was insane. BUT. In a way I miss it--there was so little to clean, for one, but mostly that being in each other's way like that--we really got to know our kids better. We were ALWAYS together, heard every conversation, etc. You know that country song about little houses, where you "sleep so close together, you can't help but communicate?" It's true! Good luck! Definitely though--put everything you possibly can into storage.

Becca said...

I'm sorry about the frustrations. I can only imagine the disappointment you must feel. But I do know you and I know that you will not only make it work, but make it work well. Good luck with the growing, I mean shrinking, pains!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.