Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Morn....

It's Easter morning. Pretty low key around here. The kids excitement was scarce. Meaning, I haven't really talked up the whole "Easter bunny" phenomenon and they actually didn't even mention him until last night. Because I took Kate to the airport shuttle yesterday morning we missed the local Easter egg hunts. I was telling them last night that when they woke up we'd have a hunt down in the basement. Only, I wasn't going to hide the eggs until morning after breakfast. Saying that gave them no reason to be early risers. (Can you tell I've been at this mom thing for awhile now?) Then someone mentioned the Easter Bunny. It might have been Kennedy. But it was more like "Does the Easter Bunny come tonight? Or is that some other holiday?" See. Oblivious. Then I spilled it. Ever so nonchalantly I said, "Tonight. Only, it's not really a 7 foot talking bunny that comes. The thought of that freaks me out. Can you imagine the size of his poop all over the house? I fill your baskets. The big guy just kind of weirds me out." None of them seemed to even flinch. I couldn't believe what I'd just said. Then Ethan says all casual, "So, he's not real. Hmmm. Is Santa Claus real?" Wasn't expecting that one. "Yes, Santa is real. Just not the ginormous talking rabbit." They all went back to eating their bedtime snack like nothing had happened. I was so surprised by what had just taken place and they didn't even seem to care. Kennedy piped up 10 minutes later while we were all still enjoying our bedtime snack "So, you fill the baskets. Did you have to call the Easter Bunny to tell him that you do that so they don't get filled twice?" I guess not all innocence is lost. And it pays to never pay attention to what your older brother is saying. This morning Presley woke at 6:30 ready for the day, so I went ahead and hid some eggs downstairs and set out the Easter baskets. Kennedy woke up shortly after and decided we needed pancakes to fill our bellies. While I set about making pancake batter and warming the griddle, this little beautyfed this little beauty some breakfast.It's great to have kids old enough to help out. It proved to be a pretty messy eating situation, as seen above. Kennedy was slower to get to the mouth than Presley preferred, so she stole the spoon mid way in. Taking matters into her own hands. Just like her brothers. Slowly the other troops started to make their way into the kitchen. This one first. Just as a pancake was finished browning. Impeccable timing.Then this one. No syrup please. I'll eat them with my hands.


After 4 kids had full bellies there was still this going on in the back bedroom.When you fight bedtime as hard as Jack does, sleeping in becomes a necessity. He finally arose around 8:30 and slowly made his way to the counter.

After Jack took his last bite everyone swooped in to see if I was ready to let them go downstairs. They took a peek in their baskets
then after hunting for the few hidden eggs, gathered back around their baskets to open their loot. Nothing too exciting.Kennedy handed Presley an egg so she could rattle it around.
Video became necessity when her high pitched squeak made it's debut.



After filling this little pez dispenser for the 4th time, I remembered why I don't like pez.

Chubby hands and pez don't go well together. We actually don't have church today because of Stake Conference. Only Shawn is gone. And honestly? 5 kids + sitting in one room for 2 hours = a ginormous headache that won't go away. So I'm planning our own little Easter celebration. The video "He Is Risen" along with a little visual storyline of the Resurrection and what actually took place. Almost as good as a church meeting. And I don't even have to shower.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

HAPPY EASTER......and quite the lute was left by a darling, non-poop leaving bunny!

Melissa said...

All your kids are so cute, but I want to squeeze and kiss Presley's cute little cheeks. Especially hearing those squeaks.

Becca said...

I am 100% certain that your Easter celebration will be better than our sacrament meeting. And Presley's high pitched squeak was so cute!

Danelle said...

That's was funny and perfectly timed that just as a big drip of drool landed on the egg Pres was playing with, Kennedy (I'm guessing) says, "Um, that's my egg" and she wants it back. Hopefully those 2 purple gummy things were safe within the drool-proof plastic egg protection device.

Way to keep the Santa dream alive...at least for a little while longer.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.