Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Avoidance...
Yesterday I ran away from home. Literally. Shawn walked in the door at 1:15 pm and I walked out at 1:23 pm. I was angry, felt unappreciated, and needed to be alone. There is nowhere to go in this town, so I left. I went 1 hour away where there is shopping. And a Panera. Alone. On the way I listened to a CD my mom gave me over a year ago titled "How to survive your greatest blessings". It was a talk given by Emily Watts. She is what you could consider a motivational speaker with underlying religious tones. She too has 5 kids. She reminded me not to sweat the small stuff. To laugh at myself. To appreciate other peoples talents instead of envy them. And to appreciate my body for what it can do instead of hate it for what it isn't. I needed those reminders. I also needed solitude to enjoy those reminders. I shopped. I ate. I returned home a renewed, refreshed person. I was welcomed with open arms. And a clean kitchen thanks to Kennedy. And Shawn to talk to as I dozed off to sleep. Amazing what a little time to myself does for my soul.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
10 comments:
I ran away about a month ago. I remember doing it more when the kids were babies, but I hadn't done it in forever. And this time it was because of my husband. So I went shopping and spent money that we didn't have on things we didn't need...on purpose. And somehow it made me feel better. Or maybe it was the brownie a la mode from ChickFila. Either way, alone time is a good thing.
(Roger used to work for Panera...yum. That would cheer me up too. Then the next day I could return to my normal body-hating, kid-resenting self).
Jayne, I love you!!! Beth
I've been there. Sometimes you have to get away to get your perspective back. Too close for too long and things get distorted. Thanks for sharing, you are always honest and real.
Amen, sister! =) We all need that every now and then.
YAHOO! I'm so glad you went for it and enjoyed it!
Do you remember when we lived in Seattle and I had 5 kids and did day care. Every Saturday morning, I'd get up, get dressed and your dad would hand me the car keys. It's called "survival"--not running away.
Love ya,
Mom
I'm trying to appreciate, instead of envy you ..... :o)
I am taking NOTES from your Mom Jayne. When I was in "ville I never thought of driving to columbia, I only thought the car went to walmart and there I would look thru mags, till I had my fill.
Being a Mom is one tuff job.
It's too bad you don't live closer to me, my house is so quiet, peaceful, serene.....boring, lonely, silent, sad. I love reading your blog, your life is so full. I'm glad you got a break. I understand, sometimes I have to go to my friends' houses just to hear children laughing and smell baby lotion. I wish Lynz lived closer to me, too.
I love your honesty Jayne. It is so refreshing. I hope you had the happiest birthday. I thought of you so much yesterday. Lots of love, Beckie
Post a Comment