Monday, January 19, 2009
Life Changes....
This job hunting thing. Man. It takes a lot out of you. Before we started looking both Shawn & I listed the things we were looking for in a place. Shawn's was basically salary and vacation time. He's looking to retire one day and he'd like to spend time with us before that happens. Me? I wanted to be close to stuff. Like Target. And Costco. And a mall would be nice. And I also wanted a family friendly environment where my kids would be safe. So, the hunt began. I've mentioned before that I shot down many many places that Shawn would have liked to interview. They were all offering generous salaries with great benefits. They were also in towns with like 500 people. When you are talking to a recruiter and he actually says things like "I have a hard time keeping docs here because the wives go crazy without anything to do" red flags start waving everywhere. I've also mentioned that I started looking and was excited about Washington as a prospect. We went to the Tri-Cities (Richland) in November and interviewed with the group there. We loved the area. (I already knew I did). We were offered the job, but didn't take it right away. We had a few months to mull it over. When we left the city both of us felt iffy. If that is the right word to express what we felt. Iffy. Shawn kept looking. He started looking at big cities in Washington. Like Tacoma. Puyallup. Places with stuff. For me. But he would never commit to an interview. There was just always something that prevented him from wanting to even take the time to head over there and check it out. We kept looking. Everyday this consumed us. The first thing he'd do when he got home was check new job listings. Then we'd pour over them all with a fine toothed comb. We talked. A lot. About our lists. Again. And again. And again. I moved around a lot as a kid. Every 5 years I was transplanted to a new area. And a new state. I've lived big city, and small. I started to really evaluate what it was I liked in every place I had lived. And what I didn't like. Pretty soon Richland started to get antsy. We were told they were interviewing someone on January 12th so if we wanted the job we needed to commit before then or it would be gone. I really love the tri-cities. I loved Moses Lake so much and it made Richland feel like home. I so badly wanted for us to commit and just pack up our house and fit right in to our new home in a place I already knew I loved. And I know people there already. Ones that already have lived there a while, and ones that are headed there to start fresh. And they are people I really like. But. There is that ginormous "but" that hangs in the balance. When I listened to my heart-of-hearts and truly listened, I couldn't let Shawn commit. He felt exactly the same. I was trying oh so hard to cram a square peg in a round hole. I was trying everything I could to smooth the edges so it would all fit. But it's not supposed to fit. Richland isn't right. I mourned for a few days when I realized this. But it's not where our little family is supposed to be. As I was mourning my loss I also came to the conclusion that I am truly a small town girl at heart. Sure, I want to be close to stuff. I realize that easy access is close enough in my mind. So, I relented to an interview for Shawn at a place he mentioned way back in November. I actually allowed myself to check a map and view it's actual location. I found that it's only 30 minutes from Target. And Costco. And a ginormous mall. 30 minutes is nothing. Easy to drop the kids at school and head over and be back in time for lunch. Shawn set an interview for Monday January 12th. It's only 3 hours from where we currently live, so we took the whole family. The anesthesia group put us up in a hotel with adjoining rooms (we now need 2 for fire code). Sunday night we drove around a little, but it was just too dark. While Shawn was interviewing Monday morning I took the kids around town. We visited the community center, and all the things it has to offer. We drove past the schools, and the church. I even talked with a realtor who was willing to show us 2 homes before we headed out of town. Shawn finished around noon and we went to lunch. He was really excited. Like a kid in a candy store. And I found myself giddy. Yep, giddy. That we found a place we both immediately fell in love with. The pay is what he wanted as well as the benefits. I'm close to the stuff. And only 1 hour from a major metropolis with zoos and cheesecake factories galore. Shawn was afraid if he wasn't offered the job he'd be deflated. We talked about how we probably wouldn't know for 2 weeks or so because of others time lines. After lunch we met with the realtor. While pulling into the driveway of the second house Shawn got a phone call. "Dr. Crook, this never happens this fast. I can't believe how fast this response time was, but I just talked to the hospital and they really liked you. They want me to offer you the job." Seriously. That fast. This felt oh so right. Round pegs in round holes right. It looks like Warrensburg Missouri is the place we are supposed to be. Amazing how when you are so sure you know what you want in life, you realize that what you want isn't what you thought at all. Warrensburg is about 20,000 people. Shawn will be in a group of only 4 anesthesiologists, with 3 CRNA's that he'll be overseeing. He is so excited he can't stand it. I've already talked to a few people in the community that we will go to church with and heard nothing but rave reviews. And. The infamous And. 12 weeks vacation. Paid. That is 1 week a month. I will see him more when he has this job then I did when we were dating. Crazy. And exhilarating. All at once. We are so blessed to have gone through this journey together. And to both come to the same conclusions at the same time. It always amazes me that when things are supposed to be a certain way things just fall into place. Round pegs in round holes. Just where we should be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
26 comments:
Wow! What a story! We are soooo happy for you! It is nice to see that there really is a light at the end of this very long, dark tunnel! We wish you guys the very best! Congrats!
I am sooo happy for you guys! When we were interviewing for med school, one of Ryan's first interviews was in California (Touro). I really really really wanted him to go there because I'd lived just an hour or so south of there for three years and considered it home. I tried so hard to make him love it to. And then we went to Missouri...where I absolutely didn't want to be at ALL because there was nothing there (I thought this before I even got there). But just like you, we both fell in love and knew without a doubt that is where we should be. He was offered the Touro spot, and he would have taken it for me. But we both just knew we needed to be in Missouri. I am so proud and excited and happy for you guys--you listened and you made the very best choice for your family. Blessings from above without a doubt! We will miss you in Richland, but I wouldn't change things for the world. When you know its right, you know its right!! CONGRATS!!!
Yaaayyyyyy!!! I've been waiting for this post to see where you are going to end up :) It sounds like it is the perfect fit for your family. Hey, 30 minutes from "stuff" is nothing after it being an hour and a half :)
Good luck with everything this next few months. I'll see you in 4 months in the midst of you packing up your house :)
Jayne, I am so excited for you to finally know where you are going and that you are going to stay Missourians. That way, when you visit KV, we can see you guys. And 12 weeks vacation--I am really jealous! Maybe my husband picked the wrong specialty. I don't know any OB/GYNs with that great a deal.
Congrats to you and Shawn! I am so, sincerely happy for you guys!
When did Green River fall off of your radar? So sad that you guys won't be closer but I am so glad you found some place where you will all be happy;)
YAY! Congratulations!! I know how it feels to know. =)
CONGRATULATIONS....I have been wondering where you all are headed Isnt nice to know the lord is looking out for us..Its been nice getting to know your wonderful family....
That is so awesome, Jayne! I can't believe he gets all that vacation paid!! You are going to love it. You guys deserve it.
Very awesome. Maybe now that you'll be closer to a Target we will visit. That was deal breaker with your current place.... oh wait. Oh wait, it's because we're lame and don't visit anyone.
Can we start planning the Crook Doozer of a Cruise now?
Congratulations...thanks for sharing your story, it gives me hope for a smooth fit someday, too.
Congrats! Jayne. Best of luck to you in your move and in your new location.
Congrats! Woo-hoo just an hour and a half from us! I think it will be great to be that close to St. Louis BUT not too close.
Wahoo! Congrats!
Congrats! I'm so excited for you!
Tisha--we are actually 1 hour from Kansas City. We are about 30 minutes from Independence and all it's shopping. Wahoo! But still 1 1/2 hours from you. Come visit!
Jayne that is so exciting to have a place to call home. Your family all deserve it. Katelyn came out to my house with Autumn and brought her boyfriend. It was so good to see her. glad to her all is well.
OK, so NOW I can tell you. I'm pretty sure Richland has caused major health hazards for my mother-in-law and her sisters :) I swear, they all have the oddest health problems. I'm so glad you feel good about this. Not only good, but EXCITED. Ah...it's done. I'm so happy for you guys.
Congrats! That's so exciting for your family!
I'm so excited for you guys-I love it when round pegs and round holes collide--it makes life so much easier! I can't wait to hear about all the exciting changes that are coming your way--you've totally earned them!
Oh Jayne... i was rootin for Richland in your tear jerking letter! But am still very happy for ya!! So glad you guys found what you wanted and I know you will be happy! Good luck with everything!!!The visit was fun when you came!! What are the odds of us ever running into each other again?? We will just leave it to emails and blogs! Take care and I wish you the best for you and your neat family!!
Rischel
Girl, you rake in the commentary! I read anxiously only to be let down, but happy for you all the same. Would have loved to have you closer by so I could tag along anytime anyone visited, meet your kids face to face and hang out! OH well! Sounds like the perfect opportunity, I'm really happy for you. I love it when decisions are that obvious. What a blessing!
Wow Jayne! You had me on the edge of my seat there. I'm so excited you guys found a place that will make you happy-because in the end thats what matters most. And you gotta love the And. Congratulations! Its so fun to see where everybody is ending up.
I so enjoyed reading about how the process went for you. Congratulations and what a relief, huh? And I can see you've got Abby's feathered nest as a link so now I'm convinced you guys are KCOM grads. We lived 3 minutes from Abby and fam for the past 4 years in Michigan.
Great to get to know you a little through your blog and best wishes!
Jayne,
I loved reading this post. I got chills and cried a little. :) I am so glad for you and uplifted by how the spirit leads and guides us. What a blessing. I admire you and your family so much. I'm glad to know you have a great future coming. Congratulations.
Jayne, it was fun to read your story. I will hop by and visit your blog more often. Warrensburg sounds awesome! Kent and I are dreaming of ending up in a place that size. I really hope we get to, but who knows? Maybe we'll feel great about living in a Metropolis. We still have 6 years left to find out our "plan"
Congratulations!!!
Post a Comment