Thursday, January 15, 2009
Choices....
I consider myself a pretty successful person in life---so far anyway. I think I've made some pretty good choices that got me where I am. I got a college education. Married a really great man. Have 5 adorable kids. I recognize the fact that I am who I am because of the way I was raised. My parents taught me strong values from the time I was little, and because of that I had pretty high standards set for myself. And I still do. I always try to do what I believe to be the right thing. Lately I've been encountering people from my past on facebook. And also blogger. It's weird to see people I knew in Jr. high all grown up with their own families. It's made me think about how choices really do affect the outcome of our lives. As I've grown into myself with age, I realize that I led a pretty sheltered life. I only knew what was in front of my face and took it all for granted. Thinking how lame it was that a certain boy in my history class never showed up to our group project meetings because he had to work. I wanted to fail him (we graded each other), but the group decided to give him at least a C because he did what he could in class. In retrospect I see that I had absolutely no idea what his home life was. Maybe he was working because he had to financially support himself and if he missed work he'd lose his job and it would cause an avalanche of problems as a result. I actually think this might have been the case. I remember another boy that was in most of my classes. He was a pretty smart guy. He was very closed lipped about his home life, but from the bits and pieces I got I gathered that he lived with a single mom who had severe emotional issues. I, however, treated him like he was living the life I was. I have recently discovered that he has become successful in this life, just as I have. He has a great job, a dedicated wife, and a few kids. He seems really happy. Both of our outcomes are the same. A lot of the choices we made to get to our outcomes were also the same. But, how is it that we made the same choices when our upbringings were so drastically different? I wonder if I would still be the same person I am today if I had been raised by an emotionally disturbed mother, or an abusive father. Would I have been able to make the choices I did? He did. I can only hope that I would have been able to overcome a hard upbringing. I guess I'll never know what I would have turned out like. And I'm glad I won't. I do know that I want my own children to realize how good they have it. I want them to know that life does exist outside of the 2x2 square around their own heads. A lot of people don't have it as good as they do. Most people don't have it as easy as they do. I want to teach them to be understanding of others situations, and sympathetic to them. Not to be as ignorant as I was. And maybe that just comes with being a teenager. Ignorance that is. And selfishness. And thinking everyone should be able to do what you do because every one's life is the same. I would love for my teenagers to see then what I waited until now to be able to see. Maybe that kind of thinking is me being ignorant. But I think it's worth a shot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
5 comments:
THis is a relly great perspective on choice, Jayne. Choices mean everything to us. IT especially hit home with me for various reasons. Maybe one day I can explain, but this little spot in not the place to do that! Thanks for lifting me up today!!
And I thank heaven that I never had to make such difficult decisions. I did grow up in an awesome, strong family...but did have friends who opened my eyes at a very early age. I saw their lives and have forever been grateful that the decisions I had to make were not as difficult-b/c I'm not sure I would have made the right ones. How interesting that the Lord knows our strengths and weaknesses even before we have a chance to know them ourselves. He needed you to turn into the Jayne you are today for whatever reason, and He also knew that if you didn't grow up the way you did, you might not have. It is interesting to see how different situations make people into who they are today.
:)I'm so lucky to be a RSP to be involved in people's lives in ways that any sane person wouldn't volunteer. But, it is a glimpse of the whole picture of 'life'. I love the sisters I serve. I sorrow for them when they don't come up for air and take a good look at where their choices have/are/or will lead(ing) them. It has given me greater love for my parents and all they really did do for us 8 kids! God has put me in this spot, to have greater perspective in my life as well as those I serve...and I'm so grateful! I get a little bit more of the Plan as I get older...and now I pray my own kids start seeing the BIG picture...but it is line upon line for a reason! :D
I really like this post. Personally, I think you would have turned out great no matter what just because that is who you are :)
Your amazing Jayne! I have been thinking about this a lot too. I grew up in a difficult environment and most of my siblings are really struggling in their lives because of their choices. I was always different, but I still have my issues, due to my past. I really do think that letting go and moving on is how you heal. I have always believed that we go to the family that we can handle. I hope that makes sense. ;)
Post a Comment