Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Gifted....
Every Christmas since we've had kids, Shawn and I have always struck the same deal. No gifts for each other, let's just use the money on the kids. Only I always get him something and assume he'll do the same. On Christmas morning after he opens his gift from me he kind of looks at me with confused eyes and says "I didn't get you anything because we agreed." Then I'm secretly angry because he was supposed to get me something anyway. That's just the game I play. For the last two years I've introduced the idea of stuffing each others stockings. This is also my way of actually making him get me a gift so Christmas won't consist of me feeling neglected. I thoughtfully fill his stocking with all kinds of goodies---gift cards, candy, etc. Last year I got vanilla tootsie rolls and pistachios in my stocking. Those are two of my most favorite things. But, I guess I wanted more. I admit, when it comes to Christmas I can be pretty selfish. I am grateful for everything I'm given, but expect a lot out of Shawn. I really can't explain that. If my parents got me nothing I'd be fine (ignore that Mom), but not Shawn. The poor guy just can't win. He tries. He really does. So this year I straight up told him I wanted Uggs. He told me to order them. I mentioned that I wanted them for Christmas, so he needed to secretly get them for me. His response? "I don't know what style, size, or color." I retorted "Classic short, chocolate brown, size 10". He didn't respond to that. I know he didn't respond because he is already overwhelmed with life and ordering a simple pair of boots completely sends his blood pressure through the roof. Trying to be understanding, I went and ordered them myself. That very day. A few days later he wandered into the kitchen while I was cleaning up dinner and said, "Jayne, I'm going to get you Uggs for Christmas. So, could you write down all the stuff you already told me once so I can actually order them?" I smiled. "Already ordered them for myself". You'd think he might be a little put off. Nope. I have never seen a better representation for what relief would look like than I did at that moment. It's not the giving Shawn has trouble with. The man is generous. Often times more generous than he needs to be. He has trouble with the whole "giving because it's expected" thing. He wants to give gifts to people because they mean something to him, not because he has to. Valentine's day is his arch nemesis. I often get roses in June or some random month because he feels they have more meaning. I've been trying so hard all these years to make him conform to society and love giving when it is expected. I would love Uggs in June, but I really wanted them this winter. So, I've decided rather than playing these silly Christmas games with such an adorable man, I'll just order what I want myself. I'm happy, he's happy. My Uggs showed up today.
Even though it isn't Christmas yet, they will be worn well. I'm foregoing the whole wrapping thing since it isn't a surprise. Besides, my feet are cold now. When you see me around town sporting my new boots, just know that there will be no hard feelings come Christmas morning. Merry Christmas sweetheart. You did well this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
8 comments:
Merry Christmas~gotta love it! I would have ordered them myself too! I love my Uggs-you won't be sorry.
This post is hilarious--I started buying my own Christmas presents the first year we were married and have been doing it ever since. My mother-in-law said it was totally unromantic, but I'm happy: he's happy......what's more romantic than that?
I think after all these years you may have finally got it all figured out! Way to go!
And by the way, I love the UGG's=you're going to look great!
That is such a great story with a nice, happy ending. A merry Christmas it is.
Rule number one in love and marriage: never give a man permission to not buy/make/invent a gift for you. Gifts giving is for women not men. Women care about it and men don't. Therefore, women can bother themselves with other things to please their man, and leave the presents and greeting cards to their men. It is okay for a woman not to get something for a man, but men must always know that they should give a gift to their woman.
Rule number two in love and marriage: Valentine's Day and Anniversaries are holidays exclusively for women. Come on, everything is pink with hearts and is about love and greeting cards. Women should not be burdened on these events to make the day/celebration special. That is a man's job. Men can pretty much assume that they'll get some good anniversary late night bonuses if they adequately romance their women on these days that only she cares about.
Oh, I might need to make a post about this. That being said, in the future, you need to train your bff to do the husband coaching so you can enjoy a little anonymity. It totally works for me. You email the goods to your girlie, she buys it for you and asks your husband to reimburse you. I have friends who literally hit the mall by themselves with the mission to rescue my husband from gift giving hell. This is WAY better than never getting a surprise gift again in your entire life, and infinitely better than allowing them to totally ootch the gift ideas by using their own.
Generally, I don't like to make men out to look like helpless idiots, but in the gift giving department, I'm sorry, it is universally a bad idea to leave them up to their own devices.
How is it that your posts always ignite me? I wind up posting in your comments waaaaay too much info. If I ever die, my man will be the most eligibly trained bachelor on the planet. That is, if he has any interest in remarrying. :)
Love the Uggs!!
I remember buying some pictures to hang in my kitchen just before Christmas. I felt so guilty for spending money on myself that I wrapped them and hid them under the tree. Christmas morning the kids handed me the gifts to open, and Travis was very confused and asked where they came from. I replied, "Santa came!"
Jayne, this story made me laugh. It sounds so familar. Our 1st Christmas Scott and I did stockings for each other. Where as, his was filled with a lot of great things from small gifts to his favorite candies, mine was filled with one bag of cheap hard candy. I had to laugh. But, I have not given up and I have to say, after 11 years of marriage, he has greatly improved. I just love the surprise and can't give it up.
Post a Comment