Saturday, December 6, 2008

THE day....


Yesterday Ethan turned 9. Yep, I'm officially the mother of a pre-teen. With the academic standing of a Jr. High School Student. No joke. It's crazy his intellect. But, he IS only 9. And I love it. I learned a few things yesterday as I toted him and 3 of his very best friends 1 1/2 hrs away to play at Bonkers.








1. Always bring extra money to play in the arcade. It will make you "the best mom ever!". It's not about the games themselves, but how many tickets one can accrue.





2. The choosing of the prizes can prove very tricky. Just the right object for just the right amount of points. You would need to spend a bazillion dollars to get the really cool prizes...





3. Good kids that aren't spoiled rotten are happy with sharing points so everyone gets something fun. (And decided to do so on their own accord). Little bouncy balls and fun dip are a hot item with 9 year old boys.





4. As long as there is food, nobody complains. These boys probably wouldn't complain even if they were hungry---they are that good. But, they still come with their messes.
5. Being 9 does not make you to old to say "watch me" and seek for the Mom's approval. My book was neglected after 30 minutes due to this. I watched them swing, and master the swing over
and over again. (Not your typical swing, so this was enjoyable to see).
6. 14 year old girls are drawn to a small group of good looking boys. And this one was sassy. I was actually shaking after speaking my mind on her vocabulary and expressing concern over her choice of words when speaking to these boys. Problem eventually resolved and the boys decided she just wasn't raised in a loving home and was never taught how to treat people with respect. (I told you they were good).
7. No matter how intellectually gifted a 9 year old boy is, burps and farts are still hilarious.
8. I feel a little bit lighter on my feet and smile more when I'm given the approval of my son and his friends.
My very favorite part of the night came when it was almost over. Ethan's friends and already headed back to the swing, but he stayed back for a minute. He had pizza sauce on his cheek, and his lips and tongue were green from fun-dip. He looked at me and said with complete sincerity, "Mom, thank you so much for bringing me here tonight. This is the best birthday I've ever had. I really appreciate you bringing me here with my friends." Melt my heart. The lady behind me heard the exchange and turned around to say "I don't know that I have ever heard a child say that to his mom. Especially a young boy." Lucky lucky me. He's mine. And I'm proud to be his Mom. Thank YOU Ethan for being the boy that you are. I appreciate YOU for being the appreciative kid that you are.

5 comments:

Lacey Guy said...

That sounds like a great birthday! You are an awesome Mom and Ethan sounds like a great kid!

Becca said...

Stuff like this makes me miss you guys more! It reminds me of when Ethan and Andrew were inseparable-or maybe that was just us and they got dragged along for the ride. It also makes me wonder what their relationship would be like now and if they would still be best buds.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ETHAN!

Tisha said...

He's such a great kid because he has such a GREAT mom!

Anonymous said...

Good job raising a great kid. Happy Birthday Ethan!

Smith Family said...

You think you are old. I have a 13 year old. She will be 14 in June. Already in the young womens. Ethan sounds like a great kid though. I am so glad that I have girls though the burps and farts aren't that bad with them, though my almost 9 year old could probably out burp any boy her age.

My family is still in Moses. My older and younger sister both live with my parents. One younger brother is down in Portland and the other is still in Moses.

I have thought about you often since high school so I am glad that I finally found you. Hopefully we can stay in touch.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.