Monday, March 3, 2008

Chinese New Year......

Ethan is officially a cub scout. With scouting comes once a month pack meetings where the family is invited to participate in any awards given and usually a well thought out activity. In February we were able to attend the Blue & Gold banquet following the theme "Chinese New Year". The cub master is amazingly organized and detail oriented. Everyone brought a Chinese dish to share, and the scouts provided dessert, decorations, and chopsticks. My kids found the wooden sticks fascinating. Kennedy attempted to eat with them while Jackson used them as weapons.


After dinner we all helped clean up the tables and a large dragon head was brought into view. Someone had taken it upon themselves to paper mache a head and make a long tail using plastic and spray paint. Each child was given a long wooden stick to help hold up the tail. Chinese music playing in the background prompted the children to trail behind one another moving the dragon around the room. The kids were excited to be part of such a fun Chinese Tradition.
Shawn missed this one. He was on call. Due to the "full moon" effect he was at the hospital pretty late. Babies seem to come often when there is a full moon. Women giving birth often like epidurals. People also like to do crazy things that often end in some kind of problem only surgery can fix. I wish he could take the lunar cycle into consideration when he makes the call schedule. We miss him at activities like this. Especially since he is one of the den leaders.

1 comment:

Rebecca Pierce said...

A good cub program is so great. Not so sure about the one that I'm in...I just went to the first Pinewood Derby though and it was fancy and efficient. I just can't wrap my mind around the "no planning meetings" as much as I love the idea.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.