Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Memorial Day Get-A-Way.....

The Thursday before Memorial Day weekend Shawn sent me a text that read, "Dr. ****** that is working here this week offered to let us use his condo at Lake of the Ozarks this weekend for free.  Are we interested?"  Huh.  Let's see Shawn.  What do you think?  I sent a text back, "Bags are already in the car and I'm backing out of the garage.  Are you coming with us?!"
Total no brainer for me.  Condo.  Lakeside.  Three day weekend.  FREE.  Who says no to that? 
The place we stayed was gorgeous.  And spacious enough for our entire brood.
It had a fully stocked kitchen.
A full dining set on the deck complete with a gorgeous view.


And two chaise lounge chairs also on the deck.  Close enough to wifi that evenings on the laptop outside were fabulous.

Craziest thing about this weekend?  Our good friends the Lewis' were staying in the exact same complex the same time.  Julie and I were able to run together in the mornings and lounge with each other at the pool one afternoon.  We went with both our families out to dinner one night.  I actually forgot the name of the restaurant (blame it on back blogging).  But.  It was on the water somewhere with great scenery and we enjoyed ourselves.
That's the restaurant in the background.  Most people boat to it.  We drove.  Because that's how we roll.  (and we don't own a boat!) One morning we woke up and decided to venture out on a hike to a local state park.
We had such a great time.  We opted for a paved path that was one mile in, one mile out along a riverbed that had no human access.  We saw lots of turtles, bullfrogs, and a few sea otters.  It was the perfect hike for our little people.  And Presley walked the entire way.


After the hike and a bit of swimming at the condo, we hit up a local custard joint to help with heat stroke.  And because it tastes good! 


That evening we were afforded the opportunity to eat at a fancy schmancy establishment (read: a place with actual menus instead of a reader board at the counter) with Drew and Julie.  Sans kids.  A great way to end the day.
What I don't have pictures of?  All the fun times spent around and in the condo swimming pool.  And the Jet ski's Dr. ****** let us have access to.  That was actually hilarious.  Shawn took Ethan and Kennedy out to sea.  Ethan decided it wasn't his favorite activity, Kennedy enjoyed it.  Then he took Jackson and Landon.  Landon said it was okay, but Jack.  Oh Jack.  He was totally in his element.  He could have stayed on that jet ski all day long.  But.  He couldn't.  Because.  We sent all the kids back up to the room and Shawn and I hopped on one together.  How romantic.  Especially when Shawn hit a wave sideways and totally tipped us off.  And then he stayed in one spot treading water while I swam after the craft, hopped on, found both of his flip flops, and then pulled him back on.  Yep.  Romance isn't dead.  It was pretty awesome.  Shawn and I both felt this was our favorite family vacation by far ever spent.  We think it had to do with "no expectations" because we really had none.  We didn't know what to expect so how could it go wrong?  And the kids were amazingly good.  Amazingly good.  I hope trips like this pop up in our lives every once in awhile from now on.  Good times.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh my gosh. I love the story of you two falling off and you having to swim after it. Hilarious!!! Glad you had such a fun time. You hit the jackpot!! What a great vacation.

The LeNeave's said...

I LOVE Andy's Custard! The best ever! Glad you got to spend sometime with the family! Love seeing your beautiful family!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.