Friday, July 25, 2008

Water-logged....

We've been getting enormous amounts of rain lately. It started Wednesday night and poured all day Thursday, and all night that night. Like 36 hours of thunderstorms. We kept ourselves busy all day yesterday cleaning bedrooms and organizing kid stuff. Shawn was home last night so we just kind of hung out as a family. I mentioned to Shawn how grateful I was to be living in a house instead of having to be out in the downpour. I believe I also mentioned how grateful I was we lived on ground that would drain and how nice to have a sum-pump to pump out the rest of the water. Famous last words. Ethan woke me up this morning at 7:45 with "the basement floor is all wet". Nice. I ran downstairs to survey the damage. For some reason the sum-pump wasn't pumping properly and we were covered in at least 2 inches of water. Everywhere. Ethan found one of his Wii remotes on the ground and burst into tears. I then followed suit. Nothing but two crying babies sitting on couches so we wouldn't get our feet wet. I paged Shawn because I didn't know what else to do. One of the docs said he could come home for a little while to help, but they really needed him today. Surgeries were stacked. And, he leaves to moonlight for the weekend tonight at 6. And, our good friends the McManus' were coming into town to stay at our place for the ward reunion tomorrow. How plans change. For the 2 hours Shawn was home he sucked up a lot of water with the shop vac. He even pulled up half the carpet. It was too wet and heavy to move so he left it in a heap on the floor. The kids helped carry all the toys and stuff not on shelves upstairs to dry. Jackson is having a great time scraping the carpet pad up at the end of the stairs. He's loading it into his dump truck then dumping it into a garbage bag. At least he's entertained. Now my basement is covered in wetness, my upstairs is covered with what should be downstairs, and all I want to do is sleep. I'm a bit overwhelmed to say the least. I did talk to a company in town that cleans up messes like this and they can come tomorrow to dispose of the carpet. The insurance adjuster and I keep playing phone tag, but at least I am in the works of talking to him. Hopefully by tomorrow night all the soggy carpet will be out the window (literally) and the cement will start to dry. I'm praying that we can have everything back to normal before this baby is born.

13 comments:

Becca said...

I'm so sorry. That totally sucks. I hope that everything gets cleaned up soon!

DeGooyer Family said...

Oh, Jayne, I'm so sorry! This happened to us last year after all of the rain in May - good luck with the clean-up - wish I could come help.

Tisha said...

I am SO sorry! I wish I was there to help!!!

Susan said...

Jayne--I am so sorry you have to deal with this. My mother-in-law told me how bad it was there. Hopefully, it won't take too long to deal with.

Jodie B. said...

That really stinks and what horrible timing. The weather there must have been horrible! Hang in there- it will get fixed!! Wish I could do something to help- I will just send you happy thoughts- is it working:)

Lauren said...

I am so sorry Jayne! I do feel your pain a bit --- our basement flooded as well with all the rain, not fun at all!

Ashley said...

What a nightmare. Grrrr.... At least your water problem won't end with an angry old lady living below you refusing to forgive you for a leak. Yeah. Like we let it leak into your ceiling on purpose. Sheesh.

millie said...

I just found out about all the rain in KV and your basement from our classes website! I'm so sorry! I can't imagine being so pregnant and having this happen. I'd have been on the couch crying with you too!

Natalie said...

JAYNE:
I AM SO SORRY!!!

Raquel said...

Yeah that sucked for you and me both. Couldn't mother nature have planned for any other weekend of that month.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, what great timing. I am sure that is the last thing you need right now. Hope everything gets taken care of in a timely manner. That just stinks!

Anonymous said...

Jayne I can't believe it! That really stinks. I am really sad that you can't come and see us now. Maybe after the baby is born and ready to travel.
I am so sorry.

Melody said...

Katherine told me that this happened. All I could think about is how I used to lay on your carpet in the basement and ask if I could sleep over because it was so soft. How sad. Sorry.. Good luck!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.