Monday, July 14, 2008

Windy Roads + Kennedy = Nothing Good...

This past weekend Shawn was moonlighting in an ER in small-town USA. He wasn't too busy Saturday, so Sunday we figured it might also be slow. After church the kids & I packed a picnic dinner and headed in his direction. It is an hour drive, and the main road to access the town is under construction. We were forced to take the back way. Unfortunately, the back way is nothing but curves and hills. For 45 minutes we swayed, dipped, and turned. After 30 minutes Kennedy started to look a little pale. I tried to coax her up front without my having to stop the vehicle when she lost it. Her lunch I mean. Luckily she hadn't eaten anything in a few hours so it wasn't something a few baby wipes couldn't clean up. And she's old enough she didn't get any on herself. I had her ride up front with the air on her full force until we reached our destination. Wouldn't you know that the minute we pull into town 3 people happen to pull into the ER looking for care. The kids and I went to a local park to consume our food. I was sitting there at this small park that I had driven 1 hour to get to, and I was kind of irritated. It would have been easier to sit outside on our deck. Or even go to a local park. Luckily the patients that needed care were pretty cut and dry and he was able to join us after 45 minutes. We played around for awhile and then went to see "where Daddy worked". The boys love to see everything Shawn does. We were all sitting in the lobby waiting for Jack to finish his business in the bathroom when Kennedy started to get a little queasy again. I attribute it to the heat of the room we were waiting in. Before she could get to the nearby garbage can her dinner hit the floor. Poor girl. Poor hospital worker that had to clean it up. Sad, but I was so extremely grateful that this is where this happened. Better the hospital floor than the floor of my van. Selfish? Maybe. But truthful. We finished the little tour and headed for home. I made Kennedy sit up front with a walmart sack on her lap just in case. No incidents. She was completely fine. I, however, was having Braxton Hicks and was worn out. After I unloaded the van I climbed into bed. Kennedy changed Landon's diaper, got him in his pajamas, read him a book, and tucked him into bed. The others took care of themselves. Nice. I now know to give Kennedy anti-nausea medicine before we travel on windy roads. I also know never to count on Shawn not being busy in an ER, even if it is a small town. And, I know that my kids will help me out when they can see I've spent my last drop of energy.

5 comments:

Becca said...

I think it's so sweet that Kennedy still changed Landon's diaper and put him to bed even after she'd had such a crappy day herself. It's just yet another sign that you're a great mom--you've taught your kids how to take care of themselves and how to take care of you if it's necessary!

The Coles said...

Holy Moley! I can't believe Kennedy is old enough to change Landon's diaper! What a GREAT little/big girl!

Rhonda said...

Keep on trudging prego girl...your time of carrying a baby in your body is almost up. I will pray for August to fly by so you can have that baby in your arms instead of in your guts.

Way to go Kennedy being such a tough girl. Atlin gets carsick too...it is so sad. I always give him Bonine before a road trip; even if it's just to salt lake. We have had a lot of trips with Atlin's head in a grocery bag.

Natalie said...

I feel your pain and I think we should make Jonnie and Kennedy sit on rubber seats in the car from now on!

Anonymous said...

I am impressed that Kennedy can change a diaper too. Elsa is going through that squirmy stage though so I think I will wait till that is over to teach Isabelle because I can hardly do it right now myself.
Sounds like a crazy day. the things we do to keep our family together right? Its worth it in the long run though.

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.