Seven years ago today we moved to this town. I can't believe it's actually been that many years. 4 years of medical school, 1 year internship, and 2 years of residency down. 1 more year of residency to go. Crazy. I have learned to really love this little place. It's oh so safe to raise my kids. And the people I've met couldn't be any better. Almost everyone I've encountered in these 7 years are so nice. Even the one's in Walmart that are missing most of their teeth. Especially those teeth less people in Walmart. Really nice. I've never been treated badly. Until today. I found an entire other side to this town that kind of bothers me. It's like an alternate city within a town. I was treated like I was unimportant. That I wasn't worth the time I took. That I didn't matter. I was sad. I was also angry, but because of hormones it came out as mostly sad. I re-remembered a few things today that I've always felt strongly about after being treated not so nice by some "elite" people. 1) It doesn't matter how much money you make, you have no right to treat others like they don't exist. 2) Regardless of your profession--Doctor, Lawyer, Brick Layer, Hotel Maid---you deserve to be treated with respect. Because you are a person, not because of your occupation.
I'm sad that I discovered this other realm. It's kind of tainted this area for me a little bit. I'm glad I can surround myself with those people that lift me up. I'm grateful for people that respect everybody. I hope to never treat anyone like they are beneath me. It's not fair. For now I'm just going to try to avoid that other realm and focus on the good of this place. I would hate for this one experience to taint all the positive influences I've encountered while living here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
6 comments:
I'm so sorry someone ruined your day! Do you want me to beat them up for you? ;-)
Don't you think that's such an important lesson to not only learn but remember and teach your kids? I remember when we were in law school and sooo poor and sometimes you'd get those looks or comments that you could tell the person was just looking down at you. I never, ever want to be that type of person. We can't all be rich or nobody would be right? I think pride over income or whatever reason is really just insecurity manifest in a really sad form.
Ew, can we egg them?
That's not good. I hate it when people are like that. I'm glad that you had 7 whole years of good feelings, though.
This is why Brian hates people.... all people. Well, most people. I'm sure he's mentioned it to you before!
I had a girl tell me not to go to a small water park in town because well, she said "white trash and mexican trash go there"...I was so angry! I go there all the time and have never seen anyone different than me or her for that matter! Being a member of our church she should know better. I am embarrassed to know her.
It will all work out...no town can be perfect with perfect people...it just doesn't exist. We can only teach our kids to love everyone no matter what their circumstances.
Post a Comment