Saturday, May 24, 2008

Medical School.....

The class of 2008 graduated this last weekend so I was able to see some old friends. Beckie & Raquel have lived out of state for the last two years during their spouses clinical rotations. They were in town for graduation so we had a little BBQ at our house. Katherine and her family came too, because they've been in town for awhile and know the other families. Seeing these girls really makes me reflect on this whole medical school experience. It truly is like nothing you can describe. You just have to go through it to understand. It is pretty tough. Not just for the student, but for the entire family. I've really learned to lean on my friends. It's amazing what tight bonds form when you are going through a major experience like this. The kinds of friends I've made are the kind you can see once every 2 years or so and pick up right where you left off. They just get me. I only have to say "internal medicine rotation" and they all know that means Shawn will be absent for awhile. They understand why I hurry and hang up the phone the minute Shawn walks in the door---time with your spouse is sacred. I'm so glad we've stayed put for residency so my path crosses all my friends that have moved away every year when it's graduation time. Next year will be my last graduation-re-acquaintance-weekend. We'll be the one's moving next summer. Weird. I'm sure I will be full of mixed emotions. Girls, congratulations on helping your husbands make it across the first few stages of this journey. Sorry to say you've only just begun. Thanks for stopping in to see me. You girls rock. Oh, and Beckie? Thanks for the beautiful pictures you so sneakily took with my camera. They are so you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truely you need to be one to know one. What a journey.

rebecca said...

I love this picture, because you 4 are at the top of my favorite people I've met during this med school journey. BTW, I'm so glad you will still be there when we come back for graduation next year! I would be sad if you moved before then :)(I'm sure you wouldn't be as sad,though, cuz I'm sure you are ready to move on as soon as you can :) Love and miss you!!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.