Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hershey Track Meet....

Kennedy and Ethan participated in the City wide Hershey Track Meet. (This was a few weeks ago, I'm just a little slow to blog lately). Ethan participated in the standing long jump, the 50 meter run, and the 200 meter run. I really don't think he had any idea what he was getting into with the 200. The track doesn't look that big, until you actually start running all the way around it. He is obviously not my competitive child. Either that or he tried to play down his abilities so he wasn't disappointed if he lost. Before each event he'd say to me, "I'm thinking I'll probably get 3rd or 4th place with this one. With only 4 of us racing, I know I won't get 5th!" I just kept laughing inside. Partway through the 200 I didn't know if he'd make it. He was about 200 yards behind the guy in front of him, and starting to slow down. I knew he would do everything he could just to finish, that was his goal with this race. I was so proud of him when he crossed the finish line. I know how hard it must have been for him. To his credit, he was competing against 9 and 10 year olds. Just the way they had it organized.

Kennedy was the one that surprised me. She told me she didn't want to run at all. She participated in the softball throw, the standing long jump, and the 50 meter run. She really didn't want to do the run, but I'm so glad she did. She is fast. She came in 2nd out of about 8 girls. I think she could have come in first but she kept looking over her shoulder to see where the other girls were. She also ended up with 1st place in the softball throw. Way to go Kennedy.

They both had a great time and did a great job.

After the events we headed to Paglai's for pizza. Shawn had the two little boys with him, so it was just us three. I had forgotten how much fun those two are to be around. Without the distractions of the little kids, we had some great conversation. I hope I get to be with just them more often, because they are truly a lot of fun to be around.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Did Kenedy compete in a skirt? Way to go girl.

Tisha said...

Way to go Ethan and Kennedy!!! I am glad you got a day out with just them. How fun!

jayne said...

It's a "skort". Shorts underneath. She prefers those to anything. Obviously not my genetics....

Rischel said...

I know I have said this before.. but I see BEN in almost all of your children!!!

Anonymous said...

Good job guys! Looks like fun.

Becca said...

They're so cute. Andrew just started track and he has had similar experiences in all of his meets to what Ethan had. The thing that makes me laugh is that at every meet he tells me, "Mom, I think I'm more of a distance runner than anything else." It's too cute!

rebecca said...

Tell those two congratulaions on competing against all those other kids! It takes alot of confidence to do that! I love Ethan's attitude about it and I love Kennedy's beginning stance as she was getting ready to run! Too cute :) What a fun day out with your two oldest :)

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.