Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Day Worth Noting....

Yesterday was my birthday. Wahoo for me. It actually had the potential for disaster due to my husbands absence and the unpredictability of my children's behavior. However, the day turned out amazingly wonderful. In the morning one of my good friends (I'll call her Mrs. Doctor for privacy reasons) took Jack and Landon into her home and left me to the stillness of my own thoughts for a few hours. Moms sure do know what other Moms would like for their birthdays. It was blissful alone time. At 10:30 the doorbell rang. I was greeted by a woman holding these:
I'm almost embarrassed to say that I really didn't know who they could be from. I had a few guesses, none of which were Shawn. It actually didn't cross my mind that he would have sent them (sorry babe). When I opened the card and they were indeed from him, I cried. Gifts completely unexpected like this from him really touch me. I was just arranging them as my centerpiece when Alana showed up with a card and some cherry Hershey kisses. (No picture due to the speed in which the said kisses were inhaled.) I took a short nap due to the excess of chocolate in my system, then went to pick up the kids to take them to preschool. I was greeted at the door by a loud "surprise!" and this:
Each of the boys and their girlfriends had made me a card, and they all helped with the delicious chocolate cupcakes. Jack has said they are the best he's ever tasted. I think I would have to agree. After the preschool drop off it was lunchtime. I figured Lunch = Ruby Tuesday curbside to go. After all, it's my special day.
Kids came home from school after I dozed on the couch with Blue's Clues and Dora in the background. Then, Lisa showed up with this delectable creation:
Too bad you can't taste pictures. This baby is one that Lisa is famous for and I happen to be the lucky recipient. And I mean lucky. After playing outside for awhile the kids were hungry so we headed to Burger King for dinner. Not really my idea of birthday dining, but 30 minutes of playtime for the kids and them actually eating what was put in front of them was worth it. Not to mention the fact that I had no need to clean up after. Perfect. When we returned home I put Landon to bed early and then the older 3 banished me to my room for 45 minutes while they planned something themselves. When they were ready they held my hand and took me to the basement where my eyes were pointed in the direction of these taped to the walls:

They couldn't find real balloons so paper had to do. Adorable. They were so proud of themselves, and I was proud of them too. Off to bed, and Jack's present to me was he only came out once to complain about something. Best gift ever son. Thanks. The night turned out not to be over quite yet. Two of my most favorite people in the world showed up bringing this:
Katherine happens to be a very creative and amazing chef, and Natalie is a great supporter of this quality. It was a white cake with layers of homemade strawberry ice cream covered in white chocolate ganache and fresh strawberries. Yum. They were both great company and we indulged in dessert while also indulging in a secret love of MTV's "The Hills". I know, high school show. You need to have at least one vice or what fun is life, right? After all the love shown me with food, I'm grateful for the pregnancy factor. What's an extra 5,000 calories when you have a watermelon for a stomach? Thanks everyone for celebrating with me on my day. You definitely made it a notable one.

16 comments:

Charmayne said...

Happy Birthday Jayne!!!

I'm glad you've had a good day. Hopefully no one will wake you during the night. :)

Here's to you!

Natalie said...

What a day---you are making 33 sound great!

jayne said...

Nat---you got the age wrong. I'm only 24.

Audrey said...

Jayne you must be quite a special person to get treated so wonderfully by everyone around you. What a totally fun and satisfying day. I too derive much too much pleasure from food. Remember, when you eat those calories with friends, none of them count. (just ask your thighs)

Lisa said...

I'm glad you had a great day Jayne!

Abby said...

Happy Birthday, Jayne! Gosh, I think I gained 5 pounds drooling over your delectable desserts! Man, I miss Kirksville! Now those girls all know how a mom wants to spend her special day! (alone with tons of yummy desserts.)

And I'm impressed with the flowers, too. That is awesome!

Katherine said...

You're kids are so sweet! I can't believe that wall of pictures they drew for you. I look like such a geek in that picture. Way to go Shawn on the flowers! Beautiful.

I love the frou frou song on your playlist. Have you heard her song "Breathe In"? I love that one, too.

Tisha said...

Happy Birthday! I am glad you have so many wonderful people to take care of you!

DeGooyer Family said...

Glad you had a nice birthday, Jayne! I guess there are SOME perks to your hubby being out of town. =)

Ashley said...

Yay! I'm glad it was a good day. I love that picture of Katherine. Isn't it funny that all we want on our birthdays is some alone time? Ha ha, it would have completely depressed me 5 years ago to be by myself but it's my new tradition. Happy Birthday!

Becca said...

Happy birthday to you! I wish I was there to share in the extra 5000 calories with you, all of it looks delicious. I'm glad you have friends there to take care of you while Shawn is gone!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

WOW!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Glad it was so great in so many ways!! You deserved it all! =)

valerie said...

Happy Birthday Jayne!! That cheesecake and cake sure look yummy!! You have some amazing kids too. Hope you had a wonderful day!!!!

Tif Sweeney said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jayne!! April sure has brought some wonderful people!! :) (I may be a bit biased on this one!!) Sounds like you had a great day!

Us Lochers said...

You have wonderful friends Jayne. I'm glad you had a happy birthday, even though Shawn couldn't be with you.

rebecca said...

I'm so glad you had such a wondeful day!! Those kids of yours are just too great!!! And Shawn did a pretty good job himself :) If I lived just a little bit closer, I would have invited myself along for the late night, The Hills, no kids and a yummy dessert with you fun gals!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.