Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Few Perks....

I am so pathetically dehydrated. Shawn has mentioned numerous times I look a little dry, but last night as I was speaking to Kennedy he noticed my neck vein wasn't bulging as it usually does. Not that most people notice veins, but to Shawn it is what his job is all about. The right veins. He's been threatening to start me on an IV drip, but I never really thought it would come to fruition. I should have known who I was dealing with. He showed up after an afternoon out with the kids with 4 IV bags, needles, and enough piping to rewire the house. I have to say that at this point I was crying. I was afraid. I hate needles, and I certainly didn't want my true love stabbing into my prominent hand. I realized I had no choice when he jimmy-rigged a tourniquet on my bicep and made me hold it myself. I was pleasantly surprised when he got a withered vein with the 1st stick. In my amazement I never let go of the tourniquet which caused large amounts of blood to start dripping from my hand causing panic. Not because of blood, but because of the stain potential in the carpet and on the sheets. He wiped it up efficiently and went to connect it to his home-made IV holder. My broom, attached to a kite pole, with a pen taped to hold the fluid bag. Genius. Might look faulty, but worked like a charm. The fluid was then flowing heavily into thirsty veins.

Then the pager went off and he left for the hospital. With me trapped to my bed. My kids were all 4 somewhere in the neighborhood and I had no way to reach them. Panic set in as darkness was coming quickly. My kids eventually found their way home, but I was still connected to this pole. Shawn told me how to disconnect, but I needed 2 good hands. Natalie to the rescue. She sped over and freed me from my trapped state. Thanks Nat. I truly feel worlds better with this fluid in my body. I'm sitting upright, blogging with ease, and even posting pictures. I don't know how long this is going to last, but at least I live with a man that can take care of me. Finally a perk to this whole Doctor thing. While I've been down my kids have been doing a pretty unique job of fending for themselves. Kennedy likes to get everyone breakfast....in a bowl of their choosing. My Tupperware has become normal-ware.

Landon has started adding his own taste to the clothes I manage to get on him. His favorite thing is to pull his arms out of his shirt and place it around his waist in construction-worker type fashion. The hat was just a bonus this particular day.

I found Jack sitting on the toilet one day with the baby potty seat on his head. I really didn't ask questions because I don't think I really wanted to know.
Thank you to all you wonderful gals who bring me food and watch my kids. I truly appreciate both the thought and the effort. I even appreciate the ones that repeatedly offer and I end up denying. You are wonderful and sometimes it is just the knowledge that you are willing to help that helps me make it through the day. I truly haven't forgotten your offers and I imagine I will end up taking you up on them eventually. So thanks. You are all appreciated.

23 comments:

Pattie said...

oh you poor girl.. like i said before let me know if i can help in anyway..

Tisha said...

Jayne,
I wish I lived closer so I could help out! I am so glad you are getting taken care of. The homemade IV is a AWESOME!

Becca said...

We got a good chuckle out of the IV. Hopefully it helps and the effects are long lasting. Feel better!

Rhonda said...

I wish I could just show up at your doorstep and take the kiddies under my wing so at least you would have one less thing to worry about. Man, I sure miss those kids. Maybe you can put them in a box and mail them to me?

think of the hospital bill my brother saved you? I don't think I would be comfy letting him prick me with a needle either but it looks like you are still alive and kicking...well, alive anyways;)

Rebecca Pierce said...

Ummmmm...are you sure that your mom and dad didn't make Landon? He looks exactly like Ben! He is darling!

I'm so sorry you are so sick! I can't believe you've done this so many times being that sick! Glad that you have Sean and others to take good care of you!

Abby said...

You poor, poor, thing - wow! And I'm sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing at the toilet seat on the head! At first I thought it was a hat until I read your explanation!

Audrey said...

That is such a sad photo of you. I hope you are feeling better. I hear you on the needle business. I HATE them.

DeGooyer Family said...

Jane, I hope you get better REAL soon - I can watch your boys a few times this week - I'll call you later tonight or tomorrow morning.

DeGooyer Family said...

-Sorry I spelled your name wrong up there - I need to get to bed...

Raquel said...

Jayne. Take everyones help. Hook yourself up to the IV and turn on the TV or get some sleep. Looks like your kids are surviving but, dang...a toilet seat on his head. Fun knee.

luke & misty meldrum family said...

Oh girl I feel your pain and goodness too!! I was on Iv bags for the first 6-7 months of my pregnancy with Ashlynn. I had to have a pic line put in for most of my pregnancy. Having fluid pumped into me was the only way I felt a little better. I hope you feel better!!

Charmayne said...

OH Jayne~do take care. Hopefully the next couple of weeks will fly by quickly. Take everyone's help~you deserve it!!!

rebecca said...

Oh, you sweetheart!!! I didn't realize when I was talking to you on Saturday that you were on the verge of getting hooked up to that fancy rig!!! I sure hope you get all the rest and help you need right now, because, yes, YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!

Ashley said...

holy cow. survival mode at your house right now, huh! Wish I could help. Except for the IV thing. You'd be on your own with that because I would be passed out on the floor.

Unknown said...

Jayne- You poor soul you. If I can help at all please let me know. Tell Kennedy I am thinking pink for her!

Stef said...

Oh, Jayne! I wish I were there to help you out. Some women think it's hot and studly when their hubby is a cop, or firefighter, but I'm glad I got a doc too (one day he'll know as much as Shawn!) Best of luck, hang in there!

Laurissa said...

Jayne you really did look miserable. I'm so glad you have lots of friends to help out. I thought Brad putting in stitches on the kitchen table was crazy, but the homemade IV tops it! Good luck. And my kids get their own breakfast of cereal almost every morning. I really need to shape up.

Katherine said...

Jayne- I am so sorry. I didn't know it was this bad. I'm bringing you dinner this week and I won't take no for an answer!

Jack is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so that IV looks like something out of a horror movie- like when the pshyco guy drugs his prey and then does surgery on them in his barn or something like that! It was hilarious though. Good thing all that medical tuition went towards something worthwhile. Sorry you are feeling yucky. Each of my pregnancies made me more sick each time. Hopefully it will pass soon. Take care!

Chantel said...

Jayne-
You poor girl! I hope that you get feeling better soon :) maybe like by your due date! I love the pictures of your kids, that was a good laugh!

Anonymous said...

Jayne you poor thing. I am sorry that medicine and wristbands aren't doing the job. Hang in there!

Lauren said...

Hope you are feeling better!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

Jayne - you are a trooper! I am glad the fluids helped. Scary, funny, nice, creative, helpful, all in one! Kennedy is so sweet to help with breakfast! It must be amazing and wonderful to see your good mothering coming out as they love one another and serve another. I hope I am as lucky someday (not to be sick, but to have such wonderful children). Feel better!

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.