Tuesday, September 18, 2007
A lot of work...
Sometimes when I know Shawn is going to be working lots over the weekend, I like to perch myself on the end of the bed like this:
I think I'm trying to evoke sympathy out of Shawn. I kind of throw a mini pity party while watching him put on his shoes. It rarely works. Probably because he knows he's not going away on vacation, but rather to a place where a lot depends on him. He carries a lot of stress on his shoulders. He does acknowledge the fact that weekends with him away are probably difficult, but nothing I can't handle. I know all this in my mind, I just like to pull the "poor me" card sometimes. Days can be really long without him around to wrestle with the boys, draw with Kennedy, or just be in the same vicinity as me doing nothing but being there. Often times when he is away and I'm exhausted from the daily grind, this is what happens in the evening:
What you can't see is the small TV glowing in the background. Yep, I plug in a movie in the bedroom. It's a special treat to actually watch something in a bedroom. That TV is specifically for video games only. Except on nights like these where all I want to do is lay in my own bed with a book, or watch what I want to watch on the real TV. I call this survival. The good news? Shawn is going to be IN TOWN this weekend. He is on-call, but I'm probably going to see him at least a few hours. He then gets TWO weekends in a row with no responsibilities. I already have him booked solid with quality time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A DAY IN THE LIFE
This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.
10 comments:
I just love some of the heart felt comments, such as the anonymous one posted above, to your heart felt blogs!
What da?
Anyway, Amen amen to your post. I know I don't know the half of it, but the shoe watching, hanging over the bed, now I just need a TV for the room. ;) Lauren wouldn't stay in front of a TV if I tried. One day. Hang in there on those long days. You are such a good mom, and those quality packed weekends will be here before you know it! =)
I love that picture of you
So who's your anonymous news buddy there? You run with a weird crowd, lady. I love this post. I had my own pity party, complete with tears, tonight as I saw Justin for a half hour today. So it goes. So it gets worse. Give me a call on your next weekend like this.
I do similar things when Mark is on call. By the way I love that picture too.
You are the bomb Jayne. I love your blog! You are my idol. :-)
Jayne, I totally understand. The same thing happens at my house! And, I was one of those people who used to say, "I will never let my kids just sit and watch TV all the time." Motherhood quickly changed my opinion.
I know these days are ahead of me, hopefully in a couple of years! Right now I am just enjoying having a husband at night and not a prisoner to his books :) It's nice to always hear how you handle it cuz it always gives me hope. You are such a good mommy and awesome support to Shawn! Even Keith mentions how great you are with your family and he always remembers you having a clean house :)
Jayne, after dinner at your house on Sunday, I have to say that you're one of my Super Moms! (And there aren't that many.) =) If he does get called in a lot Saturday, you could take your kids to Airport Day!
Man, I was just planning on trying the pose when I read it doesn't work. Too bad. I wonder if there is going to be a readjustment period, as in "You're here too much, you haven't had evenings and (many) weekends free for the past 8 years, so I kind of got used to it on my own?" JK. Really, I'm REALLY looking forward to the days when my husband has no pressure to study at night!
Post a Comment