Friday, September 21, 2007

Book Club Has Begun.....

We met for the first time today in my home. I'm supposedly in charge. I've been the leader of this book club for a long time. This will be my 6th year. All it really means to be in charge is that I need to set the date and provide my home. All the girls bring their thoughts, ideas, and opinions and that is really what makes this club run. I LOVE book club. I have always loved to read, but sometimes get stuck in a rut and feel overwhelmed by the library selection. It's nice to have other people's favorite reads brought to my attention. Today I typed up a list of suggestions sent to me via email from some of my favorite readers (Tiff, Jodie, Erin) and a few from some of the new girls joining this year. We had a pretty amazing list to narrow down. I imagine I will eventually work my way through the entire list, but for now I'll stick to the monthly selection. In no particular order:

#1) My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult
#2) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
#3) The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
#4) Odd Girl Out by Rachel Simmons
#5) Ties that Break, Ties that Bind by Lensey Namioka
#6) Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray

You'll notice that two of these are already listed under my favorite books. It never hurts to re-read a good book. I hope this year brings many good discussions.

5 comments:

Tif Sweeney said...

These look like some great books! I can't wait to hear what people think of them and read them myself! I'm just bummed I can't participate in the discussions this year! Book club was probably one of my favorites (if not THE favorite) of SAA!! I miss it so much! :)

Anonymous said...

Jayne,
I miss you too.
I also miss book clubs. The ones they have here are just not the same. I have read a couple of the books on your list and will try to remember to take this list with me next time I go to the library. I am always looking for some good ideas. Thanks!

Syd said...

Your blog is so fun and your kids are SO cute. I'm not even sure I knew you had 4!! They are adorable!! I can't believe we've been in MI for 4 years now! I am loving the blog thing, it's so fun to catch up, and keep in touch!!

Audrey said...

Jayne, I'm Derek Petersen's wife (from Moses Lake)...don't know if you remember him or not. I noticed your post on Keri's blog about book club and so I was going to see if you posted some good suggestions and you have! Yay!! I LOVE Jodi Picoult! Have you read 19 minutes? You've gotta do it. I also just read A Thousand Splendid Suns and loved, loved, loved it as much as the Kite Runner. Thanks for posting some great suggestions. I'm reading Flags of Our Fathers right now (they made a movie of it--Clint Eastwood directed I believe) because I don't know much about WW2 and I'm really liking it actually. Anyway, this is probably too long, but was thrilled to see someone who apparently has very similar taste in books to me. Feel free to post an incredibly, ridiculously long post on my blog now.

The Marshall Family said...

Jayne,

I was just sitting here the other night wondering what to read and I think I may have to check out some of the books on your list!!!!

How have you been by the way??? Hopefully we can talk sometime soon! Who would have thought it would be so tough when we are right next door??? :)

Nicole

A DAY IN THE LIFE

This is a simple little blog about me and my family. Nothing fancy, just experiences that make me who I am. Take it or leave it. I'll still be just me.